Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DavidTJ

Default Word 2003 to Acrobat 5.0

I am converting Word 2003 documents to Acrobat 5.0 via Distiller.

I used Words bullets feature extensively in the documents, but these do not
appear in the PDFs.

Could this perhaps be a compatibility issue between the older version of
Acrobat and the newer version of Word? If so, how can I fix it so the
all-important bullets appear?

--
DavidTJ
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KC

I've often had this problem--graphics not converting to the PDF from my
original documents. The only thing that solved this for me was getting
Acrobat Professional 7.0. I haven't had the problem since. Sorry I
don't have any other suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Are you using the macros built into the add-in to convert to PDF? If not, do
so.
If you have not already upgraded the add-in you will need to do that also.

DavidTJ wrote:
I am converting Word 2003 documents to Acrobat 5.0 via Distiller.

I used Word's bullets feature extensively in the documents, but these
do not appear in the PDFs.

Could this perhaps be a compatibility issue between the older version
of Acrobat and the newer version of Word? If so, how can I fix it so
the all-important bullets appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DavidTJ

This was a really helpful answer - thank you. I do have Macromedia Flashpaper
installed (I assume that was what you meant...) and that adds the option to
'Convert to PDF'. Previously I had been using the Acrobat Distiler print
option and hitting the graphical problems I originally described. But with
Flashpaper, which I'd never tried before, the conversion seems to work
perfectly and the bullets etc all seem to be there.

I'll complete the (extensive) job I'm doing and see how it goes and will
then add a final comment (hopefully saying: 'job done'!) to close this thread.

Anyway, thanks again, your help was brill.
--
DavidTJ

DavidTJ wrote:
I am converting Word 2003 documents to Acrobat 5.0 via Distiller.

I used Word's bullets feature extensively in the documents, but these
do not appear in the PDFs.

Could this perhaps be a compatibility issue between the older version
of Acrobat and the newer version of Word? If so, how can I fix it so
the all-important bullets appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DavidTJ

Hi there, thanks for this. I did think strongly about buying Acrobat Pro 7.0
but was put off by some very technically well-informed reviews that expressed
real concern about the bloated and invasive nature of version 7.0. There are
enough darned things slowing down my system already without adding any more,
so I figured that upgrading should be my final resort, not the first one.

Perhaps your experience of version 7.0 has been positive, though - I'd
certainly be interested to hear from you about it.
--
DavidTJ

"KC" wrote:

I've often had this problem--graphics not converting to the PDF from my
original documents. The only thing that solved this for me was getting
Acrobat Professional 7.0. I haven't had the problem since. Sorry I
don't have any other suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DavidTJ

Ah - it went wrong. Later files in the project would not convert to PDF using
Flashpaper. All that happens is that Word's Reviewing mode is turned on! That
is really weird, isn't it?

--
DavidTJ

DavidTJ wrote:
I am converting Word 2003 documents to Acrobat 5.0 via Distiller.

I used Word's bullets feature extensively in the documents, but these
do not appear in the PDFs.

Could this perhaps be a compatibility issue between the older version
of Acrobat and the newer version of Word? If so, how can I fix it so
the all-important bullets appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Flashpaper was not what I meant. I know nothing about that - though I see a
potential for conflict. I meant the Acrobat add-in which puts Adobe's PDF
creation macros on the toolbar. Use these instead of printing to Distiller.

DavidTJ wrote:
I am converting Word 2003 documents to Acrobat 5.0 via Distiller.

I used Word's bullets feature extensively in the documents, but
these do not appear in the PDFs.

Could this perhaps be a compatibility issue between the older
version of Acrobat and the newer version of Word? If so, how can I
fix it so the all-important bullets appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pmt pmt is offline

how does get the add-it to put the PDF macro on toolbar? is it an upgrade or
a download to adobe acrobat 5.0. thanks.

DavidTJ wrote:
I am converting Word 2003 documents to Acrobat 5.0 via Distiller.

I used Word's bullets feature extensively in the documents, but
these do not appear in the PDFs.

Could this perhaps be a compatibility issue between the older
version of Acrobat and the newer version of Word? If so, how can I
fix it so the all-important bullets appear?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/323749.html "PDFMaker is
unavailable in an Office application (Acrobat 5.x on Windows XP, 2000)".

pmt wrote:

how does get the add-it to put the PDF macro on toolbar? is it an upgrade or
a download to adobe acrobat 5.0. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Acrobat 5 pre-dates Office 2003 so its installation routine does not
recognize the correct folder for the add-in. That add-in (PDFMaker.dot)
should go in the Office startup folder - C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP.

Ensure also that Acrobat 5 is fully updated.