Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
culture lover culture lover is offline

Default How can I cross out a word or a letter?

I am trying to "x out" words and letters for a special effect, that is
superimposing an "X" over something already written. I am using Office XP -
MS Word 2002. Strikethroughs and redacting won't do (I don't think redacting
is supported on Word 2002 anyway.) Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could use an EQ field, but the problem that you are going to encounter
with proportionally spaced fonts is that of determining how many Xs to use
for a given piece of text as clearly x takes up more space than (say) i. The
longer the string, the greater the discrepancy is likely to be. The best you
are likely to achieve without manual adjustment is to use a macro e.g.

Dim oRng As Range
Dim i As Integer
Dim xStr As String, sAsk As String
Set oRng = Selection.Range
xStr = ""
For i = 1 To oRng.Characters.Count
xStr = xStr & "x"
Next i
sAsk = MsgBox("Click Yes to over-write the selected text." & vbCr & _
"Click No to replace selected text", vbYesNoCancel, "Overstrike")
Select Case sAsk
Case vbYes
oRng.Fields.Add oRng, wdFieldFormula, _
"\o (" & oRng.Text & Chr(44) & xStr & ")", _
False
Case vbNo
oRng.Text = xStr
Case Else