Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flamestar flamestar is offline

Default Numbering and Header for Story

I am using Word 2003 with an XP operating system

I am preparing a short story for publication. There is a title page
that does not have a number. Then there is a first page that has a
number but the number is not shown. The last name and page number is
suppose to start on the second page. If I try to insert a page break
I get a blank page. What’s worse there is a same as previous command
that people refer to but do no show. They will show a page number
menu and say click on same as previous but its not on the screen. I
can find same as previous as part of a header but I can't click on it.

Can anyone help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need a section break between the title page and the rest of the story.
Then you need "Different first page" enabled for the second section. You'll
leave the First Page Header/Footer blank and put your name and page number
in the Header/Footer.

You can either unlink Section 1 from Section 2 (by turning off Link to
Previous) in order to leave the Header/Footer for the title page empty as
well, or you can enable "Different first page" for Section 1, in which case
it will have the same empty First Page Header/Footer as in Section 2.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm for plenty of pictures.

http://word.mvps.org

"flamestar" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 with an XP operating system

I am preparing a short story for publication. There is a title page
that does not have a number. Then there is a first page that has a
number but the number is not shown. The last name and page number is
suppose to start on the second page. If I try to insert a page break
I get a blank page. What’s worse there is a same as previous command
that people refer to but do no show. They will show a page number
menu and say click on same as previous but its not on the screen. I
can find same as previous as part of a header but I can't click on it.

Can anyone help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flamestar flamestar is offline

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

Thank you, you did a great job. Once you explained it, it wasn't s
problem al all.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help.

http://word.mvps.org

"flamestar" wrote in message

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

Thank you, you did a great job. Once you explained it, it wasn't s
problem al all.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flamestar flamestar is offline

On Dec 25, 9:30*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Glad I could help.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

The problem I had when saving is solved. I just put the page brakes
back in,
Thanks again.