Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Default Why my undo function does not work

Hi,
I have never posted any message in Microsoft news groups. Please bear with
me if I am posting to a wrong NG.
I bought a new notebook computer and installed Word 2003. Everything seems
to be working fine except Undo and Redo functions. I just could not use
these functions. After I types some texts into my documents and move the
cursor to the Undo or Redo buttons, the message can't undo or can't redo
will appear. It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can suggest some
solutions to this annoying problem.
TIA,
Ken

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why my undo function does not work

Hi Ken,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Undo and Redo functions in Word 2003. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot this issue.

First, let's try resetting the Undo history. Here's how:
  1. Click on the "Tools" menu at the top of the screen.
  2. Select "Options" from the drop-down menu.
  3. Click on the "Edit" tab.
  4. Under "Editing options," find the "Undo" section.
  5. Change the "Number of undo levels" to a different number (e.g. 10).
  6. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  7. Repeat steps 1-4, and change the "Number of undo levels" back to the original number.
  8. Click "OK" to save the changes.

If that doesn't work, let's try repairing your Word installation. Here's how:
  1. Click on the "Start" menu at the bottom left of the screen.
  2. Select "Control Panel" from the menu.
  3. Click on "Programs and Features."
  4. Find "Microsoft Office" in the list of installed programs.
  5. Right-click on "Microsoft Office" and select "Change."
  6. Select "Repair" and click "Continue."
  7. Follow the prompts to complete the repair process.

If neither of these solutions work, it's possible that there may be a conflict with another program or add-in. You can try disabling any add-ins you have installed and see if that resolves the issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sometimes, even with a new installation, there is a registry glitch that can
keep some features from working properly. Try the steps shown here to see if
one of them cures the problem:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Note that despite the fact that this is named "Problems Opening Word," it's
really much broader than that. Some of the same issues that can prevent Word
from opening properly can cause other problems as well.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Ken" wrote in message
Hi,
I have never posted any message in Microsoft news groups. Please bear with
me if I am posting to a wrong NG.
I bought a new notebook computer and installed Word 2003. Everything seems
to be working fine except Undo and Redo functions. I just could not use
these functions. After I types some texts into my documents and move the
cursor to the Undo or Redo buttons, the message can't undo or can't redo
will appear. It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can suggest some
solutions to this annoying problem.
TIA,
Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Ken,

I bought a new notebook computer and installed Word 2003. Everything seems
to be working fine except Undo and Redo functions. I just could not use
these functions. After I types some texts into my documents and move the
cursor to the Undo or Redo buttons, the message can't undo or can't redo
will appear. It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can suggest some
solutions to this annoying problem.

Well, my first thought is that you may have some kind of Add-in loaded that's
clearing the Undo buffer.

If you start Word in Safe Mode, by holding CTRL, you get the installation
defaults. Does Undo/Redo work in Safe Mode?

If not, try starting Windows in Safe Mode and test in Word again.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Hi, Herb and Cindy,
Thanks for your help. I tried the following ways without success:
1. Start Word in safe mode by holding down Ctrl key.
2. Delete the Data key of Word in registry.
However, I resolved the problem by starting word with /a command line
option.
Thanks again for your help and hopefully my experience can save some time
for other troubled users.
Ken
"Cindy M." wrote in message
Hi Ken,

I bought a new notebook computer and installed Word 2003. Everything
seems
to be working fine except Undo and Redo functions. I just could not use
these functions. After I types some texts into my documents and move the
cursor to the Undo or Redo buttons, the message can't undo or can't redo
will appear. It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can suggest some
solutions to this annoying problem.

Well, my first thought is that you may have some kind of Add-in loaded
that's
clearing the Undo buffer.

If you start Word in Safe Mode, by holding CTRL, you get the installation
defaults. Does Undo/Redo work in Safe Mode?

If not, try starting Windows in Safe Mode and test in Word again.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There should be no difference between starting in Safe Mode using the Ctrl
key and starting in Safe Mode using the /a switch. Note that this is a
diagnostic, not a way forward.

"Cindy M." wrote in message
[...]

or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Hi, Suzanne,
I think the key word (no pun intended) is "should". When I held down Ctrl
key when starting Word, I was asked to confirm to start in safe mode. It did
not solve my problem. However, when I start Word with /a thru either Run or
a new short cut, no confirmation is required and it resolved my problem.
IMHO, this is also show that how immature the software industry is. If you
put in reverse gear and your BMW goes forward rather than backward, you will
scream at the car maker which will fix the problem. What do you do when the
most popular word processing software does not work the way it should be,
the software manufacturer will do nothing. Well, fortunately, we can ask for
MVPs.
Thanks again for all the helps provided promptly and freely by all MVPs. We
know you guys do not work for Microsoft. But you are sometime the only life
line of the users of Microsoft products.
Regards,
Ken
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There should be no difference between starting in Safe Mode using the Ctrl
key and starting in Safe Mode using the /a switch. Note that this is a
diagnostic, not a way forward.

so
all may benefit.

"Cindy M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

When/if using /a "solves" a problem, it usually means that a registry entry,
normal.dot, or another add-in is causing the problem. The ultimate solution
is to delete the errant registry entry or the corrupt normal.dot or other
add-in. If you use /a as a permanent solution, you will discover that none
of your options or other settings/customizations will last beyond the
current session.

Because of this, and because /a is a troubleshooting diagnostic rather than
a solution, we often point users to:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

for how to cement the repair without forgoing the ability to customize
options and settings.

"Cindy M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is interesting because I truly thought the two methods had identical
results (suppressing Normal.dot, Registry, and add-ins). The other
ingredient in the mix, often overlooked, is the printer driver, which I
believe is also mentioned in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm, to which Herb has
pointed you.

Without wanting to defend MS necessarily, I will point out that if you void
the warranty (or at least fail to service your BMW properly) by running the
tires underinflated, failing to change the oil, using bad gasoline (or a
useless additive), letting the radiator run dry, etc., you will not get any
more sympathy from BMW than you do from MS when a poorly written add-in
messes with Word or you save a document as Normal.dot or your third-party
printer driver goes haywire.

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Cindy M." wrote in message
[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or