RichardP

Default Change Tracking Tracks Changes to New Text - It's Crazy!

I use Word2002 with change tracking enabled.

Let's say, I type in some new text. Whenever I make certain changes to the
new text, such as superscripting, changing formatting, there will be a change
tag appearing on the _new_ text.

For example I'm editing a document right now and the page is littered with
change messages on a totaly new text which should just simply be marked with
one tag, indicating it's new text.

Due to the vast amounts of these unnecessary tags (I believe), just
navigating on the page brings my reasonably fast PC to its knees with word
pushing it to 100% CPU usage. It takes 1 second to jump just 2 characters
using the arrows.

There is a workaround: that is to duplicate the text by copying it and
deleting the "original copy" of the new text. The new copy than just gets
marked as new text, as it should be. However, I shouldn't have to waste time
with this, especially when there are many changes in the document.

Tagging changes to new text is totally unnecessary. How can I disable the
change tags on new text?

Please, help.

Richard
RichardP

I might add, that that disabling View/Markup solves the groaning CPU problem
(in fact that's what I'm doing, keep switching the "view markup"), but then
of course you can't see the changes and I still believe that tagging changes
to new text is, at best, unnecessary.