Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patricia Patricia is offline

Default extra field delimiter causing problem with selecting text

Somehow, I have part of a field, with only the ending delimiter.
When I try to select the line, it selects back to the top of the document.
This happens even when I just try to select the stray delimiter.
I assume it's looking for a matching beginning delimiter.
If I try to delete it using the DELETE or BACKSPACE key, it doesn't delete
it, but selects back to the beginning
Is there any way to delete this character?

What I'm going to do is copy the data before the stray delimiter, do the
delete, and paste the data back, but I'm curious if there is a more graceful
way to fix the problem. Also, I wonder what caused this in the first place.

For the equally curious, I have a valid SEQ field. It was somehow followed
by a vertical bar and the number that the SEQ generated at this point in
time, both of which I could delete, then the stray ending delimiter, which I
cannot delete, at least not w/o also deleteing everything in the document
before that point :
}|5}

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patricia Patricia is offline

No. For one thing, stuff was not duplicated. Also, the extra delimiter would
have been at the end of the file, not in the middle. Also, if I had copied
the whole file, I would have had matching delimiters.

The SEQ field is part of text that I copied repeatedly. I am guessing
something went wrong during a copy, esp. because there was that numeral in
regular text that was the value of the resolved SEQ number. Possibly
involving a bookmark.