Randy

Default Zip code formating in mailmerge

When doing a mail merge from Excel into Word (both 2003) the zip code
suppresses the leading zeros in some zip codes and fould up the zip plus 4
codes as well. When you look at the fields format in Excel, it show to be
correct and everything looks fine until it is pulled into Word. Is this some
sort of bug?
I've tried everything from changing the zip field to text, general, number
it doesn''t seem to make any difference
Thanks for any help you can give.
Randy
Doug Robbins

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Randy" wrote in message
news
When doing a mail merge from Excel into Word (both 2003) the zip code
suppresses the leading zeros in some zip codes and fould up the zip plus 4
codes as well. When you look at the fields format in Excel, it show to be
correct and everything looks fine until it is pulled into Word. Is this
some
sort of bug?
I've tried everything from changing the zip field to text, general, number
it doesn''t seem to make any difference
Thanks for any help you can give.
Randy

camell

My zipcode is a little bit different then the examples on this web page. The
zipcodes in my Excel document are like this 02345-9899. I either get
00000-0000 or 0 depending on which format I use. Any other suggestions?

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Randy" wrote in message
news
When doing a mail merge from Excel into Word (both 2003) the zip code
suppresses the leading zeros in some zip codes and fould up the zip plus 4
codes as well. When you look at the fields format in Excel, it show to be
correct and everything looks fine until it is pulled into Word. Is this
some
sort of bug?
I've tried everything from changing the zip field to text, general, number
it doesn''t seem to make any difference
Thanks for any help you can give.
Randy

Doug Robbins

You will need to create a new column in Excel that by using the Left() and
Right() functions combines the first 5 digits with the final 4, and thus
eliminates the -. Then the method on Graham's website will work. It
doesn't work at the moment because

(a) 02345-9899 is not being considered as a number and/or

(b) it is not 99999

as it would be if the information stored in Excel was 23459899

--

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
news

adding the post code Louise Mailmerge 3 May 4th 05 06:27 PM
UPC BAR CODE davek Microsoft Word Help 4 March 22nd 05 11:16 PM
Reveal Formating Code Dick Microsoft Word Help 5 March 12th 05 09:51 PM
Add code to select email field in mailmerge! Hans Mailmerge 4 February 3rd 05 06:47 AM
How do I use the PRINT field code to ... Dave Microsoft Word Help 3 December 13th 04 03:06 PM