Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cms cms is offline

Default automatically suppress Space Before after a column break (Word 200

HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or column
break'. What am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could just surrender and create another Style which is identical
to the one you're using except it has no Space Before, and apply that
after your column break.

On Jan 28, 9:56*am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or column
break'. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could just surrender and create another Style which is identical
to the one you're using except it has no Space Before, and apply that
after your column break.

On Jan 28, 9:56*am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or column
break'. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or just manually remove the space before from that one paragraph.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
You could just surrender and create another Style which is identical
to the one you're using except it has no Space Before, and apply that
after your column break.

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or just manually remove the space before from that one paragraph.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
You could just surrender and create another Style which is identical
to the one you're using except it has no Space Before, and apply that
after your column break.

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Being somewhat of a control freak I'd probably create a separate style for
cases such as this one. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Or just manually remove the space before from that one paragraph.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
You could just surrender and create another Style which is identical
to the one you're using except it has no Space Before, and apply that
after your column break.

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Being somewhat of a control freak I'd probably create a separate style for
cases such as this one. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Or just manually remove the space before from that one paragraph.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
You could just surrender and create another Style which is identical
to the one you're using except it has no Space Before, and apply that
after your column break.

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It depends how often you need to do it in a given document. I tend to wait
for several occurrences before defining a style, though I do routinely have
a Body Text Space Before style to use after tables (even in documents with
no tables).

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Being somewhat of a control freak I'd probably create a separate style for
cases such as this one. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Or just manually remove the space before from that one paragraph.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
You could just surrender and create another Style which is identical
to the one you're using except it has no Space Before, and apply that
after your column break.

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So ... no one wants to address OP's original problem, that "Suppress
Space Before" isn't working?

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

Being somewhat of a control freak I'd probably create a separate style for
cases such as this one. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Or just manually remove the space before from that one paragraph.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
You could just surrender and create another Style which is identical
to the one you're using except it has no Space Before, and apply that
after your column break.

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, we've tried to, but since we can't reproduce the problem... I did
suggest looking for an empty paragraph.

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think the problem is the fact that this is a continuous section.

--
[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break
or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break
or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think so. Columns are very often in Continuous sections, but the
"suppress" control should still work.

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break
or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break
or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, my previous message wasn't clear. I meant to say that in a quick
test, there seems to be a difference. I had never noticed this before.

Here's an example:

one-column text¶

------continuous section break------
column one¶ text in column two¶*
column break

-----continuous section break----
one-column section again¶

Note that the spacing may seem to be suppressed but if you press Ctrl+Q on
the paragraph after the column break (the one marked with an asterisk), the
spacing will resurface.

--
[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break
or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break, the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page break
or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How very annoying. But I actually usually prefer this because the first
paragraph in the first column has Space Before, and this makes them match.
If there is no manual column break and a paragraph breaks from one column to
the next, then I have to remove the Space Before on the first paragraph in
Column 1 in order to balance them.

[...]

On Jan 28, 9:56 am, cms wrote:
HEEEEEELP!

------------
After a Continuous section break, I have created 2 columns. Styles
have
Space
Before and/or After. When I force a column with a column break,
the
second
column is keeping the Space Before. Please note I have already
selected
the
compatibility option 'suppress Space Before after a hard page
break or
column
break'. What am I missing?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]