Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Default Trouble Sorting Table

I have run into this problem for the first time. I have a Word table (about
355kb, about 180 lines/rows) which I have been updating for 2-3 years. It
is actually a table matching legal cases with their billing reference
numbers, with 1 case per row. Some other information about the case is also
stored in the different cells (columns) of each row, including the state
where the case is pending. The table is usually sorted alphabetically and
maintained that way. I usually make a copy of the table and sort it by
state, but without usually saving it as a separate table in the document.
Suddenly I am encountering this error message when I try to sort the whole
table or even a few rows: "Word cannot sort this table because all of its
rows are table headings." How the %^#(?!@ did all my rows become table
headings? I certainly have headings at the top of the table, but they do
not repeat on each page, and I certainly don't include the table headings
when sorting. I tried copying all but the last few paragraphs of the
document containing the table and pasting it into a blank document in case
the original had become corrupted, but this seemed to make no difference.
The problem appeared in Word 2002 (via MS Terminal Server) but I had the
same trouble trying to sort the table in Word 2003.

(Should I be using Excel for this??? I hope not. I keep meaning to learn
how to use it but I have this naaasty habit of sticking with what I know)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Joe,

Last things first: Yes, you really should transfer this table to Excel. It
won't take long to learn enough Excel to maintain a simple table like that.

In the meantime, on the theory that the table structure is corrupted and
that your previous attempt failed to clear the corruption, try this on a
copy of the document:

Select the table and choose Table Convert Table to Text. Assuming you
don't have any tab characters inside the table, you can accept all the
defaults and just click OK. The table will be converted to plain text, with
a tab between each pair of former cell contents and a paragraph mark at the
end of each row. Now select that whole mess and choose Table Convert
Text to Table. As a sanity check, the numbers of columns and rows should be
the same as the old table. Click OK, save, and try sorting the table. If
everything seems OK, use the copy to replace your damaged original document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Joe McGuire wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

This worked very well, indeed. Thanks a million. Is there a handy way to
turn my table into an Excel spreadsheet?

(Now to learn some Excel!)

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
[...]

so all may benefit.

Joe McGuire wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Well, I just cut and pasted the table into Excel so I'mm off and
running--and can terrorize a different BB with excel questions . . . Thanks
again

Joe McGuire wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

[...]