techoboy

Default replace images after translating text

I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this converts the
text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

--
great, thanks
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:53:04 -0800, "techoboy"
wrote:

I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this converts the
text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

Good old-fashioned elbow grease.

You may be able to get a good OCR program to read the text in the
graphics, and you can then run that through your translator, but
you'll have to put the translation into the graphic by hand.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Graham Mayor

It is not clear to me what you mean here. What is the issue regarding the
'language' of an image? Text processing will only have relevance to images
that are inserted in line with text.

techoboy wrote:
I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this
converts the text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

techoboy

Thanks Jay

But I have the substitute set of images in another directory. All I want to
do is switch over to that directory after the translation has completed.

These documents regularly change and I need to provide multiple versions of
the document in the respective language.

I was looking for a tool that could change the link or the path and then
replace the original images.
--
great, thanks

wrote:

I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this converts the
text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

Good old-fashioned elbow grease.

You may be able to get a good OCR program to read the text in the
graphics, and you can then run that through your translator, but
you'll have to put the translation into the graphic by hand.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Graham Mayor

If you insert the images using IncludePicture fields and the images in the
different language folders have the same filenames, you can use Replace (if
you toggle the display - ALT+F9 - first) to replace the path in the fields
as required. You can record a macro to do this if you wish.

wrote:

I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this
converts the text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

Good old-fashioned elbow grease.

You may be able to get a good OCR program to read the text in the
graphics, and you can then run that through your translator, but
you'll have to put the translation into the graphic by hand.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

techoboy

Hello Graham

The text is normal text and can be translated ok.

The images are anything such as a photo of a person. For instance it is more
appropriate to show images of African people with text that is in their
language.

The images can contain anything.
--
great, thanks

techoboy wrote:
I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this
converts the text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

techoboy

Hi Graham

I have not been able to get this method working just yet.

The problems I am having is that the Find/Replace after the ALT F9 does not
recognise the imbedded directory.

Even when I manually change the directory, it still does not recognise it.

Also having a problem displaying JPG files this way.

....so I will keep playing with it along these lines to see if this can work.
--
great, thanks

wrote:

I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this
converts the text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

Good old-fashioned elbow grease.

You may be able to get a good OCR program to read the text in the
graphics, and you can then run that through your translator, but
you'll have to put the translation into the graphic by hand.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Graham Mayor

See if http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330079 is relevant here
Note that you need double slashes in the path

{ IncludePicture "c:\\my path\\image.jpg" }

wrote:

I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this
converts the text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

Good old-fashioned elbow grease.

You may be able to get a good OCR program to read the text in the
graphics, and you can then run that through your translator, but
you'll have to put the translation into the graphic by hand.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

techoboy

Problem solved - use IncludeImages Field in Word with options Data not stored
and Preserve formatting.

Thanks Graham for the key to the solution.
--

wrote:

I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this
converts the text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

Good old-fashioned elbow grease.

You may be able to get a good OCR program to read the text in the
graphics, and you can then run that through your translator, but
you'll have to put the translation into the graphic by hand.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fagin

Notwithstanding the fact that techoboy in a slightly later post says that he
used INCLUDEIMAGES, I have tried this technique and it works fine.

Another thread asks about using Relative directory paths to the stored
graphics: my pathnames, although entered as absolutes (C:/dir0/file0.bmp)
appear to be translated to relative paths (../../../file0.bmp) and I would
like to know how to prevent this.

And, in addition, my biggest problem is this: If I set up a master document
which has all the INCLUDEPICTURE field codes in it to load "SetOfPicturesA",
is it possible to then freeze these so that they cannot ever be changed? This
would then constitute a customized document that could be sent to a customer,
whilst leaving me the flexibility to replace the graphics with other ones,
recalculate the fields and send a variant of the document to another
customer. I guess what I'm looking for here is a Word equivalent to Excel's
PasteValues command which freezes the results of calculations and uses them
to replace the formulae.

Hope someone's listening and that all makes sense.

wrote:

I have a number of Word documents with many images in them.

I run the document through a batch language translator and this
converts the text. But the images reflect the base language.

What ideas? What software? What functions?

Good old-fashioned elbow grease.

You may be able to get a good OCR program to read the text in the
graphics, and you can then run that through your translator, but
you'll have to put the translation into the graphic by hand.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fagin

I have, to an extent, answered my own questions, or at least one of them:

Is there an equivalent of Excel's Paste Special: Values?

Yes: it's Word's Paste Special and it allows you to copy the IncludePicture
field code and paste it as a variety of graphics formats - bitmap, device
independent bitmap, jpg, png etc. The downside is that it didn't seem to
preserve the size of the included picture and this would, of course, throw
you page layouts out of kilter.

So, an alternative, which I also found in these message boards, is to Unlink
Fields. This works for IncludePicture and IncludeText, and probably a number
of others. It freezes the field value and pastes it in.
Just select the field code and hit Ctrl-Shift-F9.

The beauty of this is that it looks as if it retains the picture size.

Now, I just need to get to the bottom of relative/absolute pathnames...