Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zoomnbyu Zoomnbyu is offline

Default latin letter with accent and macron?

My wife is taking a latin class and I need to find an answer to this to keep
peace in the household.

Some latin letters have both a macron and accent above them. I can't find a
font letter that has this, found one but accent goes the wrong direction, so
does anyone know a way to make this work?

Todd
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can find vowels with macrons and breves in the Latin Extended-A
character set (I think you've already located these). Accented letters are
in the same place. For letters with macron/breve *and* an accent, you may
have to experiment with the Combining Diacritical Marks (for these you may
have to use the Arial Unicode MS font) if you can't find them in Latin
Extended Additional. For other methods of combining characters, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm.

FWIW, when I was teaching Latin, most beginning textbooks did use macrons as
an aid to students, but I don't recall ever seeing one that had accent marks
as well; we were expected to learn the rules for where the accent went.

"Zoomnbyu" wrote in message
My wife is taking a latin class and I need to find an answer to this to

keep
peace in the household.

Some latin letters have both a macron and accent above them. I can't find

font letter that has this, found one but accent goes the wrong direction,

so
does anyone know a way to make this work?

Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

If you display the "extended formatting" toolbar, that has a button to
insert emphasis marks.
These marks don't come from the font, so you can use them with any font.
They aren't (EQ) fields, either, BTW.

By default, the emphasis mark is a black dot/circle above the letter
(command "DotAccent").
There's also "CommaAccent" command that inserts a "comma" above any letter
(looking like a curved "grave" accent), which you can add to some toolbar.

With VBA, you can also insert a white circle emphasis mark above, or a dot
below the letter.

Not sure that any of this would work for your purposes though...

Regards,
Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can find vowels with macrons and breves in the Latin Extended-A
character set (I think you've already located these). Accented letters
are
in the same place. For letters with macron/breve *and* an accent, you may
have to experiment with the Combining Diacritical Marks (for these you
may
have to use the Arial Unicode MS font) if you can't find them in Latin
Extended Additional. For other methods of combining characters, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm.

FWIW, when I was teaching Latin, most beginning textbooks did use macrons
as
an aid to students, but I don't recall ever seeing one that had accent
marks
as well; we were expected to learn the rules for where the accent went.

so
all may benefit.

"Zoomnbyu" wrote in message
My wife is taking a latin class and I need to find an answer to this to

keep
peace in the household.

Some latin letters have both a macron and accent above them. I can't
find

font letter that has this, found one but accent goes the wrong
direction,

so
does anyone know a way to make this work?

Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

You could experiment with the different emphasis marks using the macro
below.

Regards,
Klaus

Sub ToggleEmphasisMarks()

' Puts emphasis mark(s) on selected letter(s), or removes them

Const c_Emphasis As Long = wdEmphasisMarkUnderSolidCircle
' other wdEmphasisMark constants to try:
' Const c_Emphasis As Long = wdEmphasisMarkOverComma
' Const c_Emphasis As Long = wdEmphasisMarkOverSolidCircle
' Const c_Emphasis As Long = wdEmphasisMarkOverWhiteCircle

If Selection.Font.EmphasisMark = c_Emphasis Then
Selection.Font.EmphasisMark = wdEmphasisMarkNone
Else
Selection.Font.EmphasisMark = c_Emphasis
End If

End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

As I said, it depends on what it's supposed to mean.
I had a publisher who wanted a macron over arbitrary letters (vowels) to
denote long vowels, and she settled for the dot below because that was
easier to do in Word.

Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't imagine that a dot below would mean the same thing to Latin students
as a macron above, especially if the latter is what they're seeing in their
textbooks, but I'll accept your suggestion as one that worked for you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I don't think any of those would be an acceptable substitute for either a
macron or an acute accent.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
You could experiment with the different emphasis marks using the macro
below.

Regards,
Klaus

Sub ToggleEmphasisMarks()

' Puts emphasis mark(s) on selected letter(s), or removes them

Const c_Emphasis As Long = wdEmphasisMarkUnderSolidCircle
' other wdEmphasisMark constants to try:
' Const c_Emphasis As Long = wdEmphasisMarkOverComma
' Const c_Emphasis As Long = wdEmphasisMarkOverSolidCircle
' Const c_Emphasis As Long = wdEmphasisMarkOverWhiteCircle

If Selection.Font.EmphasisMark = c_Emphasis Then
Selection.Font.EmphasisMark = wdEmphasisMarkNone
Else
Selection.Font.EmphasisMark = c_Emphasis
End If

End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I can't imagine that a dot below would mean the same thing to Latin
students
as a macron above, especially if the latter is what they're seeing in
their
textbooks, but I'll accept your suggestion as one that worked for you.

It was an Italian text book. I don't know the first thing about Latin, and
you're surely right that my suggestion was off base for Todd.

Regards,
Klaus