Katie

Default Formula Help

Is there no formula in Word to negate one value from another in a
table? I have performed such functions in Excel using the formula
=B4-D4. Is there a similar formula I may apply to a Word doc. to
perform this function, or do I need to include an Excel worksheet in
the word document for more extensive capabilities

Herb Tyson [MVP]

It can be done in Word, but not nearly as naturally as it can be done in
Excel. One of the reasons for interoperability of Office applications is so
you can use the "best" tool and create compound documents whose components
are from those different applications.

However, here's how to do it with just Word. If you're in a Word table,
cells can be referenced similarly to how they're referenced in Excel. For
your B4 - D4 hypothetical, do precisely what you did (=B4-D4), but enclose
it in field braces, like so:

1. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert field braces.

2. Type =B4-D4 inside the braces (e.g., { =B4-D4 } )

3. Put the insertion point inside the field braces, and press F9 to "update"
the field and display the results.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com