change one footer date without changing other pages

Old June 14th 05, 07:42 PM
publisherm

Default change one footer date without changing other pages

I need to use revision bars for changes to a document. I need to change the
date in the footer on pages where I make changes. The document has several
section breaks. On pages where I make text changes, I go to footer, and turn
off "Same as Previous." Then I update the footer date. But this change
automatically gets applied to other footers throughout the document.
Can you help?
Thanks
Old June 15th 05, 11:18 AM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

I need to use revision bars for changes to a document. I
need to change the
date in the footer on pages where I make changes. The

document has several
section breaks. On pages where I make text changes, I go

to footer, and turn
off "Same as Previous." Then I update the footer date.

But this change
automatically gets applied to other footers throughout

the document.

This is not really something that Word's internal design
supports. Through the editing process (deleting/adding
text), the page flow could change, thus putting any change
on a different page. And for this to have any chance of
working at all, you'd need a section break (probably of the
you can see when that happens. And you'd also have to make
sure that "Same as Previous" has been turned off for every
single section.

Note that, if you've used Continuous section breaks within
the text that you may not have direct access to that
section's header or footer (more than one section on a
page). In that case, "Same as Previous" might not "take".
(And that's a second reason why you'd need Next Page types
of section breaks after every page.)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Old June 15th 05, 10:52 PM
Joshua

I was struggling this morning with the same issue. What ended up working was
adding a section break (next page) after the last character of the page
before the one whose footer I want to alter. This caused the last sentence
to become full-justified. After fixing that, I added the section break (next
page) again, which had the effect of inserting a blank page with a header and
footer before the one I wanted to change. I turned off same as previous on
this page and changed the footer. Then I pressed delete once to bring up the
text from the bottom page and the footer was as I wanted it to be without
having changed any of the other pages. Kind of a pain, but effective.