Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GillyWilly GillyWilly is offline

Default Mail Merge with Excel 2003 data to Word 2003

I have an Excel 2003 list that I am using for a mail merge in Word 2003.
When I look at the data source in Word I can remove all of the 'ticks' to
'retick' only the people I wish to include on my mail merge. However, when I
then go through and insert my merge fields and preview the information it has
included the whole list of names and addresses rather than just the ones I
specifiy. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GillyWilly GillyWilly is offline

Hi Suzanne

it's actually happening in the preview and when i complete the merge. I
have actually copied the excel data into a new file because it was 3mb with
only 250 rows in excel. when i create the new file in Excel it merges
absolutely fine. However, this doesn't really solve the reason why it was
happening can you shed any light on this?

Many thanks

Gillian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is this just when you preview the merge or after you actually perform it?

"GillyWilly" wrote in message
news
I have an Excel 2003 list that I am using for a mail merge in Word 2003.
When I look at the data source in Word I can remove all of the 'ticks' to
'retick' only the people I wish to include on my mail merge. However,
when I
then go through and insert my merge fields and preview the information it
has
included the whole list of names and addresses rather than just the ones I
specifiy. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GillyWilly GillyWilly is offline

hi suzanne sorry do you mean insert the merge fields at step 5 of the wizard?
when you can choose to edit the recipient list? Even if i do this it is
still the same, it's almost liike it just clears my selection as soon as I
close the 'edit recipient list' window. I think it is something in the Excel
data but can't work out what. I thought initially that there must be a
filter applied and it was remembering it as i brought the information across.
There isn't though and i've even removed the autofilter drop downs in excel
to see if this helps. the only that works is copying the excel data across
into a new file. It's very strange?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is this just when you preview the merge or after you actually perform it?

"GillyWilly" wrote in message
news I have an Excel 2003 list that I am using for a mail merge in Word 2003.
When I look at the data source in Word I can remove all of the 'ticks'
'retick' only the people I wish to include on my mail merge. However,
when I
then go through and insert my merge fields and preview the information
it
has
included the whole list of names and addresses rather than just the
ones I
specifiy. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

After you select the recipients, are you clicking OK to close the dialog? I
don't use the wizard to create my mail merges, so I'm not sure what step 5
is. I have specific merges that I use over and over with different
recipients, and I never have a problem. For example, I have a mail merge
main document to print addresses on envelopes. The data source is the
database of members of my Rotary club, which is in Excel. When I need
envelopes, I open the document, click Select Recipients on the Mail Merge
toolbar, Clear All, select the desired recipients, click OK, and then
complete the merge. I've never had a problem.