Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Johann Swart Johann Swart is offline

Default Search & Replace

In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are involved, one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Johann,

You can also use ^10 with wildcards, and this works with the table cell markers as well.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Johann Swart" wrote in message ...
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are involved, one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Hello Macropod (Happy New Year)
This ^10 does not work in the Find/Replace with wildcards checked.
I have 2003 on XP, should this work?
I have for many years wanted to find the code for the cell markers with no
joy, so any calification would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
DeanH

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Johann,

You can also use ^10 with wildcards, and this works with the table cell markers as well.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

"Johann Swart" wrote in message ...
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are involved, one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Sorry, to clarify.
^10 does work but not on its own or with a space before.
As previously described in a previous posting, if you search for Wa^10 -
this will be found, But [space]^10 will not be found, any space will be found.
I have noticed Doug's macro and may have a play with that, any other ideas?
Thanks
DeanH

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Johann,

You can also use ^10 with wildcards, and this works with the table cell markers as well.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

"Johann Swart" wrote in message ...
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are involved, one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Dean,

Works fine in Word 2000. It seems to be just another thing that took a backward step with later versions ...

--
Cheers
macropod

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Johann,

You can also use ^10 with wildcards, and this works with the table cell markers as well.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

"Johann Swart" wrote in message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are involved, one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Johann Swart Johann Swart is offline

Hi Graham,
Apologies; I expressed myself incorrectly. I am not referring to paragraph
breaks (¶) in table cell, but to the actual cell marker (¤).
I have several documents that contain tables with a space or spaces between
the last character and the cell marker that I need to remove (quite laborious
in a 100-page document riddled with tables).
The ^10 suggested by DeanH does not do it either. I have tried a number of
permutations, and frankly, some weird things happen.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Johann.
It was Macropod that suggested the ^10, and as you say this does not work
this [space]^10. I am still hoping for a solution.
What can work though if you are purely wanting to get rid of the superfluous
space before the cell end marker is to use the "old" trick of selecting the
text, align centre then align left (or left then centre). This will remove
all superfluous spaces, tabs, etc. at the end of paragraphs selected.
This works well, but obviously enusre that you select the text only not the
whole table, else the table itself will be aligned. I tend to select by
column, say columns 1 and 2 out of a 3-column table, do the trick, the n
select column 3 on its own, do the trick.
Not the best but does work well.
Lets see if anyone else can help with the Replace on [space] Cell End Marker.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The following macro will clear trailing spaces from all the cells in the
table containing the cursor

Dim oRng As Range
With Selection.Tables(1)
For i = 1 To .Rows.Count
For j = 1 To .Columns.Count
Set oRng = .Cell(i, j).Range
oRng.End = oRng.End - 1
oRng.Text = RTrim(oRng.Text)
Next j
Next i
End With

If you want to clear leading and trailing spaces change RTrim for Trim

Note that if you select the table and Click CTRL+E then CTRL+L all leading
and trailing white space will be cleared from the table.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

To process all the tables change that to

Dim oRng As Range
Dim oTable As Table
For Each oTable In ActiveDocument.Tables
With oTable
For i = 1 To .Rows.Count
For j = 1 To .Columns.Count
Set oRng = .Cell(i, j).Range
oRng.End = oRng.End - 1
oRng.Text = RTrim(oRng.Text)
Next j
Next i
End With
Next oTable

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

I just tried searching for " face^10", "face ^10", and " ^10" in W2009. All
work with wild cards enabled. It selects only up to the end of cell
marker€”probably because the marker cannot be manipulated. It also replaces
only up to the end of cell marker.

Thanks, Paul.

Pam

macropod wrote:
Hi Dean,

Works fine in Word 2000. It seems to be just another thing that took a backward step with later versions ...

Sorry, to clarify.
^10 does work but not on its own or with a space before.

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

It also works with " {1,}^10. I too have had to delete trailing spaces from
dozens of tables and hundreds of cells€”by hand. So this could be a big help.

Pam

Pamelia Caswell wrote:
I just tried searching for " face^10", "face ^10", and " ^10" in W2009. All
work with wild cards enabled. It selects only up to the end of cell
marker€”probably because the marker cannot be manipulated. It also replaces
only up to the end of cell marker.

Thanks, Paul.

Pam

Hi Dean,

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Hi Pamela.
Unfortuantely, this still does not work, it finds any space in the table,
not just a space next to the Cell End Marker, which is what is required. Oh
well never mind.
Thanks anyway.

DeanH

Pamelia Caswell wrote:
I just tried searching for " face^10", "face ^10", and " ^10" in W2009. All
work with wild cards enabled. It selects only up to the end of cell
marker€”probably because the marker cannot be manipulated. It also replaces
only up to the end of cell marker.

Thanks, Paul.

Pam

Hi Dean,

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?
.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Hello Graham.
Many thanks for these two macros.
Unfortunately both fail at:
Set oRng = .Cell(I, j).Range

Any ideas?
DeanH

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The thing that occurs is that you may have merged cells in your table. The
macros will not work with merged or split cells.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the
document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in
message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in
tables?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Graham, yep that was it, two cells in the header row were merged in the test
table.
Many thanks
DeanH

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the
document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in
message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in
tables?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Note that you can step through all of the cells of a table that contains
merged cells by using

Dim acell As Cell
For Each acell In ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Range.Cells
'Do something with each cell
Next acell

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the
document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in
message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in
tables?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Good thinking - that would equate to

Dim oRng As Range
Dim oTable As Table
Dim acell As Cell
For Each oTable In ActiveDocument.Tables
With oTable
For Each acell In oTable.Range.Cells
Set oRng = acell.Range
oRng.End = oRng.End - 1
oRng.Text = RTrim(oRng.Text)
Next acell
End With
Next oTable

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the
document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in
message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in
tables?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Johann Swart Johann Swart is offline

So then, it would appear as though there is no "one size fits all" solution.
Many thanks to all contributors!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the
document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in
message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in
tables?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

W2009?

--
Cheers
macropod

macropod wrote:
Hi Dean,

Works fine in Word 2000. It seems to be just another thing that took a backward step with later versions ...

Sorry, to clarify.
^10 does work but not on its own or with a space before.

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

2007. Fingers slipped. And I'm very disappointed that ^10 doesn't work in
W2007.

Pam

macropod wrote:
W2009?

I just tried searching for " face^10", "face ^10", and " ^10" in W2009. All
work with wild cards enabled. It selects only up to the end of cell

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in tables?
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Johann Swart Johann Swart is offline

Graham Mayor posted a macro that clears tables of leading and trailing spaces.
Before I could put it to the test, DeanH wrote that he experienced failure
of this macro, which was then attributed to merged cells.
Doug Robbins then posted a macro to find merged cells, and then to manually
do whatever is required.
Both macros are certainly valuable and will help me a great deal; many
thanks Graham.
As my tables are riddled with merged cells, it will still require a
significant degree of "manual labour" to take care of merged cells
separately; hence my "one size..." (read "one macro") comment.
Again, sincere thanks. It certainly beats inspecting thousands of cells one
by one.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the
document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in
message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs
are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in
tables?

.

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Hi Johann. The revised macro with the "acell" works very well with merged
cells.
I have tested this with some very complex tables and no problems have been
noticed.
Graham - many thanks.
DeanH

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Paragraph breaks are paragraph breaks wherever they are in the
document.
What *exactly* are you trying to do?

"Johann Swart" wrote in
message
In Search & Replace (Find & Replace) where paragraph signs
are
involved,
one
would use ^p in normal text or ^13 when using wild cards.
What are the equivalent codes when using Search & Replace in
tables?

.

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
David Turner David Turner is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Good thinking - that would equate to

Dim oRng As Range
Dim oTable As Table
Dim acell As Cell
For Each oTable In ActiveDocument.Tables
With oTable
For Each acell In oTable.Range.Cells
Set oRng = acell.Range
oRng.End = oRng.End - 1
oRng.Text = RTrim(oRng.Text)
Next acell
End With
Next oTable

Might be best to first check whether there is actually a space before the
end of cell marker to avoid unnecessary trimming.

Sub RemSpaceBeforeCellMarker()

Dim oRng As Range
Dim oTable As Table
Dim acell As Cell
For Each oTable In ActiveDocument.Tables
With oTable
For Each acell In oTable.Range.Cells
Set oRng = acell.Range
oRng.End = oRng.End - 1
If Right(oRng.Text, 1) = " " Then
oRng.Text = RTrim(oRng.Text)
End If
Next acell
End With
Next oTable

End Sub
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"David Turner" wrote in message

Might be best to first check whether there is actually a space before the
end of cell marker to avoid unnecessary trimming.

If there is no space nothing is trimmed, so the extra test would appear
superfluous?