Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Albert

Default Convert text in Word to table or Excel

I have a word doc. The data appears to be in a table format, I think
seperated by spaces. I need to use this in Excel. I am not able to convert
text to table. Should I click on the "convert" tab in Word, the options of
"text to table" is not highighted. Is there any way that I can convert this
text to a table in Word, or directly convert from this to Excel. If I copy
directly to Excel, all data is left in one cell as oppose to many cells in
Excel. (The work I need converted is a bank statement sent to me in Word
format). Thanks - Albert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TedMi

In Excel Help, look up Importing Data - Import a text file
--
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Yandl

Albert,

You need to select the text you want to put into a table before the option
to convert text to table would be available to use.

Before you do that, make a backup copy of your document and then on the
working copy, check to find out what might be separating data fields. Click
the 'Tools' drop down menu and select 'Options'. Select the 'View' tab.
Under the 'Formatting' section, put a check next to "All" and then click
'OK'. If you're lucky, there will be right pointing arrows between fields
indicating a tab was placed there and paragraph end markers at the end of
each line. However, since you tried to paste to Excel and the data got
squeezed into a single cell, I suspect that someone used multiple spaces to
line up data columns.

If it appears that every data entry is separated by two or more spaces
(spaces will show up as a tiny dot when formatting marks are set to show)
and data fields have only single spaces or no spaces at all, here is
something you can try. I just gave this to someone in an Excel group with a
similar problem and he said it took care of the problem.

Make a backup copy of the Word document before the experiment!

Open the Word document and either press Ctrl plus the letter "h" or click
Edit Replace

In the replace window, click the "More" button and put a check next to "Use
wildcards"

In the "Find What:" box, type in
[ ]{2,}
note, that is square brackets with a single space between, followed
immediately by curly braces around the number two and a comma.
In the "Replace With:" box, type in
^t
Now, click the "Replace All" button. Every instance where Word finds two or
more spaces in sequence will be replaced by a single tab character. I'd
probably select all the text, click the 'Table' drop down menu and choose to
convert text to a table. This way you can easily check for any odd results
and correct before moving from Word and then do a simple copy paste to
move the table data into Excel.

Steve

"Albert" wrote in message
I have a word doc. The data appears to be in a table format, I think
seperated by spaces. I need to use this in Excel. I am not able to
convert
text to table. Should I click on the "convert" tab in Word, the options
of
"text to table" is not highighted. Is there any way that I can convert
this
text to a table in Word, or directly convert from this to Excel. If I
copy
directly to Excel, all data is left in one cell as oppose to many cells in
Excel. (The work I need converted is a bank statement sent to me in Word
format). Thanks - Albert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Albert

Thanks for the advice. It worked well. I had to save the Word file as a
text file first, and was able to follow the "help function". - Albert

"TedMi" wrote:

In Excel Help, look up Importing Data - Import a text file
--
Ted

Table Format Style vs. Table Text Style WebColin Page Layout 11 December 2nd 05 12:29 AM
convert from wordperfect bullets and numbering 184wp Microsoft Word Help 1 October 27th 05 08:00 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM