Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

Default Word Office 2003 Slow to Appear

What can be done to speed up the appearance of Word 2003 when I first start
it? It's easily the most sluggish start of any app that I have.
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kate G. Kate G. is offline

Are you using Norton Antivirus? If so -- that is probably your problem.

another thought.... have you defragged lately?

--
Kathryn Groves

"W. Watson" wrote in message
What can be done to speed up the appearance of Word 2003 when I first
start it? It's easily the most sluggish start of any app that I have.
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bernard W Joseph Bernard W Joseph is offline

Kate G. wrote:
Are you using Norton Antivirus? If so -- that is probably your problem.

another thought.... have you defragged lately?

I hope that there's another answer. I have no antivirus applications.
Word 2003 is, by far, the slowest application to load. Oh for the days
of Word 97.

Bernard
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm .

W. Watson wrote:
What can be done to speed up the appearance of Word 2003 when I first
start it? It's easily the most sluggish start of any app that I have.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

I just opened your post, and immediately started chuckling. It looks like
you hit the nail on the head. I happened to see the window shell opening,
and noticed NAV was virus scanning the doc file. Good grief! This was not a
doc from an e-mail. I fired up NAV, and it failed. I got a msg that I should
remove it and re-install it. I decided to just remove it. Word comes up
faster now, but it's still a little sluggish.

Yep, I attempted a defrag about 5 weeks ago, and was told I didn't need it
by the s/w. I had done it maybe 4 months ago.

I'm headed for the next posts, and will undoubtedly be back.

Kate G. wrote:
Are you using Norton Antivirus? If so -- that is probably your problem.

another thought.... have you defragged lately?

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

I can sympathize with that view. Despite my recent problem, it's not the
speediest opening app by far. I'm using XP Pro, BTW.

Bernard W Joseph wrote:
Kate G. wrote:
Are you using Norton Antivirus? If so -- that is probably your problem.

another thought.... have you defragged lately?

I hope that there's another answer. I have no antivirus applications.
Word 2003 is, by far, the slowest application to load. Oh for the days
of Word 97.

Bernard

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

As well as NAV - specifically the Office Plug-in option - being a problem,
you must also install a local printer driver for Word to see even when you
are not connected to a network or printer.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"W. Watson" wrote in message
What can be done to speed up the appearance of Word 2003 when I first
start it? It's easily the most sluggish start of any app that I have.
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

Are you saying that if Word knows there's a printer available that it might
slow down the loading of Word?

Terry Farrell wrote:
As well as NAV - specifically the Office Plug-in option - being a
problem, you must also install a local printer driver for Word to see
even when you are not connected to a network or printer.

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Completely the opposite: Word needs to see a printer driver. If the printer
isn't local, then Word may be slowed down as it tries looking for a Network
printer (For example, over a VPN link, this could be very slow). If it
cannot find either a networked printer or a locally installed printer
driver, it may fail to start completely.

Terry

. net...

Terry Farrell wrote:
As well as NAV - specifically the Office Plug-in option - being a
problem, you must also install a local printer driver for Word to see
even when you are not connected to a network or printer.

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

I think I'm safe. My printer is plugged directly into the PC via a parallel
port, and is always on.

Terry Farrell wrote:
Completely the opposite: Word needs to see a printer driver. If the
printer isn't local, then Word may be slowed down as it tries looking
for a Network printer (For example, over a VPN link, this could be very
slow). If it cannot find either a networked printer or a locally
installed printer driver, it may fail to start completely.

Terry

. net...

Terry Farrell wrote:
As well as NAV - specifically the Office Plug-in option - being a
problem, you must also install a local printer driver for Word to see
even when you are not connected to a network or printer.

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Actually, Word doesn't need to see the printer itself, just the driver. The
printer need not be on; in fact, there need not be a printer physically
connected to the computer. But Word needs to see a driver. This means that,
even if you're printing to a network printer, you need to install the driver
locally.

et...

Terry Farrell wrote:
Completely the opposite: Word needs to see a printer driver. If the
printer isn't local, then Word may be slowed down as it tries looking
for a Network printer (For example, over a VPN link, this could be very
slow). If it cannot find either a networked printer or a locally
installed printer driver, it may fail to start completely.

Terry

. net...

Terry Farrell wrote:
As well as NAV - specifically the Office Plug-in option - being a
problem, you must also install a local printer driver for Word to see
even when you are not connected to a network or printer.

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

Office 2003 Pro Word slow J. Antill Microsoft Word Help 1 June 21st 07 04:06 PM
drop down directory list office 2003; slow response click on randallc Microsoft Word Help 2 October 3rd 05 05:08 AM
why is word 2003 slow payme New Users 1 April 9th 05 08:14 PM
why are opening some documents on MS Word in Office 2000 slow? Jerry Prakkat Microsoft Word Help 1 March 10th 05 12:53 PM
slow word 2002 office XP Geoff H Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 04:14 PM