Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JKeef JKeef is offline

Default Automation using IF statements

I am trying to do an IF statement and it is not working.
If text76= "" Text10 Text76- it returns the bookmark name Text76 not the
information contained in the cell. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:14:00 -0700, JKeef
wrote:

I am trying to do an IF statement and it is not working.
If text76= "" Text10 Text76- it returns the bookmark name Text76 not the
information contained in the cell. Any suggestions?

You need to convert each of the bookmark names into a field (actually
a Ref field, but the keyword Ref is optional) nested inside the IF
field.

Select each bookmark name in turn, and press Ctrl+F9. The final
result, before collapsing the field code, should look like

{If {text76} = "" {Text10} {Text76}}

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JKeef JKeef is offline

Thanks Jay, by saying I need to convert each of the bookmark names into a
field- I assumed when I created the text form field originally, they already
were fields?
I typed in your formula and received the results {Text10}?
Am I missing a step?
Thanks again

wrote:

I am trying to do an IF statement and it is not working.
If text76= "" Text10 Text76- it returns the bookmark name Text76 not the
information contained in the cell. Any suggestions?

You need to convert each of the bookmark names into a field (actually
a Ref field, but the keyword Ref is optional) nested inside the IF
field.

Select each bookmark name in turn, and press Ctrl+F9. The final
result, before collapsing the field code, should look like

{If {text76} = "" {Text10} {Text76}}

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In the formula within the IF field, you cannot just type braces around a
bookmark name; you must select the name and press Ctrl+F9. The result of
that is a field within the IF field. Although the field delimiters look like
bold braces, they're something completely different.

wrote:

I am trying to do an IF statement and it is not working.
If text76= "" Text10 Text76- it returns the bookmark name Text76
not the information contained in the cell. Any suggestions?

You need to convert each of the bookmark names into a field (actually
a Ref field, but the keyword Ref is optional) nested inside the IF
field.

Select each bookmark name in turn, and press Ctrl+F9. The final
result, before collapsing the field code, should look like

{If {text76} = "" {Text10} {Text76}}

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JKeef JKeef is offline

Boy, Thanks Jay- the Text76 has turned into the actual results- I have
inserted all of the REF fields using Ctrl F9 then typing their name in the
brackets (or through the field option choose REF- select bookmark Text10).
But now my if statement doesn't work? I get text76 results or nothing.
{ IF { text76 } = "" {Text10) {Text76}

Thank you again for all of your time!

wrote:

I am trying to do an IF statement and it is not working.
If text76= "" Text10 Text76- it returns the bookmark name Text76
not the information contained in the cell. Any suggestions?

You need to convert each of the bookmark names into a field (actually
a Ref field, but the keyword Ref is optional) nested inside the IF
field.

Select each bookmark name in turn, and press Ctrl+F9. The final
result, before collapsing the field code, should look like

{If {text76} = "" {Text10} {Text76}}

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JKeef JKeef is offline

Hi Jay-
I figured out a work around. For whatever reason- it does not like the "" or
" " sign. So I built the IF statement around a dropdown box.
Again- thank you for your help!

wrote:

I am trying to do an IF statement and it is not working.
If text76= "" Text10 Text76- it returns the bookmark name Text76
not the information contained in the cell. Any suggestions?

You need to convert each of the bookmark names into a field (actually
a Ref field, but the keyword Ref is optional) nested inside the IF
field.

Select each bookmark name in turn, and press Ctrl+F9. The final
result, before collapsing the field code, should look like

{If {text76} = "" {Text10} {Text76}}

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Supressing the ctrl-c and other keys during word automation in automation apondu Microsoft Word Help 0 July 19th 07 10:15 PM
If then statements LSivak Mailmerge 1 November 9th 06 01:17 AM
PDF Automation Tim Flatman New Users 3 February 16th 06 10:47 PM
conditional if statements Smokey smith Mailmerge 4 April 14th 05 11:38 PM
IF Fields With AND Statements Brendan Vassallo Microsoft Word Help 4 March 11th 05 03:47 AM