Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Jgillis@architetto.com is offline

Default manipulating/cutting/pasting text out of a text box

Hi,
I created a doc with 20 pages landscape mode and placed two text boxes per
page side by side, linked such that the left hand box links all the way down
thru page 20 (and all the right hand boxes are also linked.) Then I cut and
pasted a large doc from another file into that left text box, and the entire
text flowed thru to the linked boxes on subsequent pages, just as it should.
Then I started annotating the text in the left hand boxes. And I started
adding annotations in the right hand boxes.
Along the way I realized I wanted to extract all the text from the left and
put it in a plain Doc file (and I want to do the same with all the text in
the right hand boxes. But when I select all (control-A) all I get is one
page worth of text (either left or right depending where the focus is). Is
there any way to get control of the entire text in the left or the right
document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Jgillis@architetto.com is offline

One further note -- the two text boxes per page are inside a "drawing
object". Perhaps this is my problem....?

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You definitely want to get rid of the drawing canvas (disable it on the
General tab of Tools | Options). But if you have a drawing canvas, you also
have a version of Word that allows you to create two pages per sheet (on the
Margins tab of Page Setup, choose "2 pages per sheet" under "Multiple
pages"). You'd still need the text boxes in order to have the parallel text
structure, but at least it would be easier to create header/footer text,
etc.

If you'll tell us more about what you're trying to accomplish, we might be
able to help more.

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Jgillis@architetto.com is offline

Thanks much for the insights.
--I didn't know how to disable the drawing canvas thingy, and you solved
that easily.
--Also I didn't know about the 2 pages per sheet feature. I looked at it
but I'm not sure yet if it adds anything to my project. And since I need
the left text box to be smaller than the right, I kind of doubt it will work
for me, since it splits page equally.

What I'm trying to do is set up a template that can be used for scholarly
analysis of classic texts.
The format I want to establish is actually three-fold (even though I talked
in my initial post of two side-by-side boxes.)
1. left side: portion of text (e.g., Aristotle's works) flowing from left
text box to left text box, and so on to end. This box is not full height
page, and only goes to about "4" to the right, in the measure scale along top
of page)
1a. (? in same text box or not? -- inclusion of the famous Bekker line
numbers (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekker_numbers for description of
these line numbers), adjacent to lines of original text.
2. right side: text box (wider and taller than left text box) for commentary
on classic text. This commentary will often be referring to specific line
numbers from left box. This text also flows, and won't necessarily be
exactly across from exact text it is referencing, since if there is a lot of
commentary it might run down the page faster.
********
Aside from the Bekker numbers, which have to be entered manually in the text
since they are not conventionally sequential that would work in Word, there
are new texts into which I plan to add an entirely new line number system,
and here I will probably use the Word numbering system, starting with "10000"
for example, assuming they will flow from one text box to the next on the
left.

Any suggestions on how to set up this kind of document would be welcome.

John Gillis

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Two superior options leap to mind. As I read your description, I at first
thought that perhaps marginal frames would help (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm).

On balance, however, I believe what you need is a three-column borderless
table. You can make the columns the desired width to accommodate the
proportional amount of text in them, and text in one column will flow from
one page to the next as desired. Although Word is never happy with very long
tables, it is much more tolerant of them than of multiple text boxes (not to
mention that the maximum number of text boxes that can be linked is 32).
Word shouldn't have a problem with a 20-page table at all, however, provided
that you start a new row from time to time (what Word really doesn't like is
long single-row tables; it's best to try to keep row height to less than one
page). Whenever you need to "synch" the text, you can start a new row. If
there are any headings or other breaks in the text, you can also split the
table for them, and that will make Word even happier.

In a previous life, I was a Latin teacher, with an M.A. in Classics (Emory
1972), so I'm eager to help with this project if I can.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You definitely want to get rid of the drawing canvas (disable it on the
General tab of Tools | Options). But if you have a drawing canvas, you

also
have a version of Word that allows you to create two pages per sheet (on

the
Margins tab of Page Setup, choose "2 pages per sheet" under "Multiple
pages"). You'd still need the text boxes in order to have the parallel

text
structure, but at least it would be easier to create header/footer text,
etc.

If you'll tell us more about what you're trying to accomplish, we might

be
able to help more.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Jgillis@architetto.com is offline

Thanks again!
I have to run off to an event in a few minutes, so I'll review what you said
in the morn, but re the tables I have two potential problems:
1. This breaking of the primary text into long "rows" in the table, means
that the text is really broken, in the sense that if I ever need to put the
text of that particular book, e.g, "The Categories" in some other doc, I have
to paste each row of text out and reconstruct it the new file. Not
impossible, since it might only be 20 or 30 "rows" per file, but still an
occassional pain in the butt.
2. not sure how line numbering would work. Would I need to do them
manually? I'm referring not the the manual Bekker numbering, but if I was
numbering a text that currently doesn't have accepted numbers, thus would
want to use Word's line numbering feature.
(Re my use of text boxes, apparently no way to put line numbers in the text
of a text box, so that is a bummer....)

I'll have to look up marginal frames in the morn, since I don't know what
those are.

I'm glad I don't have to right this response in Latin, since my Latin from
high school is terrible grin
Thanks
John Gillis
New York City

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your text is not broken into "rows." It's broken into columns. You can
easily select a column and paste it into a new document, then use Table |
Convert | Table to Text, separating with paragraph marks. So no real problem
there. As for the line numbers I was assuming a column for those; that is,
according to your description as I understood it, you'd have a column for
the primary text, a column for the line numbers, and a column for the
commentary.

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Jgillis@architetto.com is offline

Hi,
I didn't realize that the text going from one row to the next (in a given
column) would all stay together. That's very good, and solves that concern I
raised.

Regarding the numbering, if I'm not doing the Aristotelian corpus or the
Platonic corpus (with their respective traditional numbering systems which I
would enter manually), but giving some works a new set of line numbers, how
to do? I can't get auto line numbering to work in a table, and even if I
did, the line numbers would presumably be in the same column as the text --
which is ok I guess, if I could get it to happen...
Thanks again.
(Hope it isn't as hot down in your neighborhood as it happens to be up in
the NorthEast this Independence weekend!)
John Gillis

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you need automatic line numbering, then you may want to go back to square
1 and use ordinary text (with line numbering) for your Greek text and
marginal frames for the commentary. Note that frames cannot exceed one page,
so that could be a drawback. You *could* use connected text boxes, but the
marginal frames have the advantage that they can be part of a paragraph
style (as described in http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm).

The alternative would be to enter the line numbers manually; if you want
numbering every five lines, say, you'd pretty much have to just use four
line breaks and a number in series to match your parallel text. I think this
would be not only difficult but subject to a lot of problems, especially if
the parallel text is not absolutely uniform (i.e., no extra space between
paragraphs, no changes in font size, etc.).

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Jgillis@architetto.com is offline

I've been evaluating choices from your various comments (with all the pros
and cons of the different approaches), and while doing so came across a file
I created a few months back for a study I was doing of Aristotle's Poetics.
In it I used "comments" as the way to tie all my analysis and commentary to
specific lines and words in his text. I had forgotten about this technique,
but I'm now looking at it and wondering if it would perhaps be the best way
to go. It would let the main text be easily numbered by MSWord (i.e., in the
case of other texts that don't already have traditional line numbers). The
original text could be set at perhaps 35 or so points wide, thus leaving the
right side of the page for as many comments as may arise.
Are there are drawbacks to this approach that you might know of? Can I
later aggregate all the comments into its own file, if need be?
Thanks.

" wrote:

Hi,
I created a doc with 20 pages landscape mode and placed two

text
boxes
per
page side by side, linked such that the left hand box links

all
the
way
down
thru page 20 (and all the right hand boxes are also linked.)
Then I
cut
and

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The downsides to this are that (1) Very little formatting is permitted in
comments (compared to ordinary text), (2) if you display or print the text
without the "markup," the comments will disappear, and (3) no, there isn't
any very good way to print the comments separately. If they're the only
markup, you can select "List of markup" in the Print dialog, but you have no
choice about the way they're presented. Comments are intended to be a
"reviewing" tool, used in the process of preparing a document (especially
when the effort is collaborative), not as part of a finished document.

If this document is purely for your own personal use, I'd say that this
approach might be satisfactory, but I wouldn't count on it for anything to
be printed and distributed (unless it's just for student handouts).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"