Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoeV JoeV is offline

Default Word Field Code Symbol

I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending one symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u 1092} to add
a second symbol 1093?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just asking: does " \u " introduce a Unicode coding? 1092 and 1093 are
part of the Myanmar (Burmese) range and are "reserved" and should not
be used for anything else. What is the purpose of your bookmark?

On Dec 30, 9:34*am, JoeV wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending one symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u 1092} to add
a second symbol 1093?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoeV JoeV is offline

The "\u" is for unicode, the 1092 and 1093 are just an example. My symbols
would be 1053, 1050, 1055 and 1056 all to be used if possible in one
bookmark. The bookmark is used when my external program writes data to the
document.

On Dec 30, 9:34 am, JoeV wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending one symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u 1092} to add
a second symbol 1093?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What command it being used by your external program to "send" the
information to the bookmark?

See the article "Working with Bookmarks in VBA€ at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...hBookmarks.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

On Dec 30, 9:34 am, JoeV wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u 1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoeV JoeV is offline

I have a Russian document that has generic information. I have program that I
created that will write to the Russian document with specific information in
Russian for each instrument that we are testing and the information needs to
go in its each specific location within the document. The software package
that I am using does not support the entire unicode format. It so happens the
Russian characters that I need are out of the range of my software package,
there 16 bit instead of 8 bit. The bookmark is to define the specific
location for each piece of information and the field code is to send the
decimal value of each Russian letter.

On Dec 30, 9:34 am, JoeV wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u 1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Help topic for the SYMBOL field says that it "Inserts a single character
or a string of characters in the ANSI character set." Although no examples
are given, I would suggest that you try specifying more than one, the
numbers separated by a comma (or semicolon if a comma is used as the decimal
point), and see what happens.

http://word.mvps.org

On Dec 30, 9:34 am, JoeV wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending
one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u
1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoeV JoeV is offline

Suzanne, I tried the following {SYMBOL 1053,1050,1055,1056 \u} then replaced
the comma's with semicolon and still it sends only the first symbol to the
document.

On Dec 30, 9:34 am, JoeV wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending
one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u
1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?
.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Am I missing something here? Why not send two or more Symbol fields

{Symbol 1053 \u}{Symbol 1050 \u}etc

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What command it being used by your external program to "send" the
information to the bookmark?

See the article "Working with Bookmarks in VBA" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...hBookmarks.htm

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

msnews.microsoft.com

wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently
sending
one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL
\u
1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?
.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What I'm now missing is why he's sending codes for Burmese. The basic
Russian alphabet is 0400 to 044F..Are his numbers the decimal
equivalents of those hex codes? If so, how does Word know they're not
standard Unicode codes?

On Dec 31, 10:45*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Am I missing something here? Why not send two or more Symbol fields

{Symbol 1053 \u}{Symbol 1050 \u}etc

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What command it being used by your external program to "send" the
information to the bookmark?

See the article "Working with Bookmarks in VBA" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...hBookmarks.htm

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via
msnews.microsoft.com

wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently
sending
one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL
\u
1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Nothing I can find online (from Microsoft or anyone else) seems to give an
example of a SYMBOL field with more than one character (notwithstanding the
Help topic), so perhaps it just isn't possible that way. As Graham suggests,
perhaps you could use more than one field?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently
sending
one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL
\u
1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?
.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Unfortunately, the Help topic seems to be one of those that were
written as "here's how it's supposed to work" rather than how it
really works.

Including two or more numbers, separated by spaces, commas, or
semicolons, results in display of the single character corresponding
to the first number. Oddly, surrounding the list of numbers with
parentheses as you would do in some other field codes results in the
display ###.

I think the only way to accomplish this is to insert a separate Symbol
field for each character.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Dec 30, 9:34 am, JoeV wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending
one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u
1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoeV JoeV is offline

Thanks to you all, that is what I will need to do, I wanted an easy way to
create the least amount of symbol fields, but it looks like I will need to
create about 130 symbol fields for each character. Once again thanks for you
help.

On Dec 30, 9:34 am, JoeV wrote:
I created a bookmark for a field code and I am currently sending
one
symbol
to that bookmark, {SYMBOL \u 1092}. How can I modify {SYMBOL \u
1092}
to add
a second symbol 1093?
.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Inserting a SYMBOL field is only one way to insert a symbol. If you can
insert a string, it may be useful to know that you can insert "wide"
characters in the string using CharW, e.g.

mystring = charw(1092) & charw(1093)

If you can show the code as Doug suggested, it might be easier for
people to suggest a way to do that.

However, without a copy of the font(s) you are using it would probably
be difficult for anyone to predict the result of inserting a string
containing "wide" characters.

Peter Jamieson