Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jean

Default Split screen problem.

My Word 2003 has suddenly started opening all documents (whether new or
existing) with a split screen. Unless something accidentally bumped keys on
the keyboard, nothing was done to make the change. When it opens a document
now, the left hand split has a full page view and the right hand split has
the normal view. The only way I can remove it is to click on Window/Remove
Split. I've checked everywhere I can think of and I can't get rid of it
permanently. It disappears and the next time I open a document, it
reappears. Has anybody come across this before and found out how to fix it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

It sounds like the View Thumbnails setting has been saved in your
Normal.dot template. This isn't necessarily anything you caused
directly; see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm for an
explanation of sorts.

To remove it, open the Normal.dot template directly, as described in
that article. Click the View Thumbnails menu item to turn it off (or
Window Remove Split, as you're already doing). Type a space
character and then backspace; this makes Word think the template needs
to be saved. Save it and close it. The problem should be gone.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman