Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Spell Check

Hi Ryan,

Not much information to go on. Can you be more specific on the issues you're having?

==========
"Ryan" wrote in message ...
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan Ryan is offline

Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the spell
check in Word 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What problems are you having? We're using Word 2007 on 5 different
computers, and spelling is working fine on all of them. Is there something I
should be having problems with that I'm not noticing?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan Ryan is offline

When I type, a word is not recognized as being misspelled. No red underline
and no recognition when i try and spell check with f7 or the regular spell
check button in word. My spell check works fine in other programs like
onenote. Any ideas?

"Ryan" wrote in message ...
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is probably formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar." The article
at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm, though not
written for Word 2007, is generally applicable.

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
katy katy is offline

I'm having a similar problem. My spell check doesn't work in any of my
Office programs. In my current word document, I checked to see if the "Do
not check spelling or grammar" box was checked and it was not. I have set it
so that the language is not automatically detected (it is set to English),
and I have checked the box that says "Check spelling as you type". None of
these things worked. What else can I try?

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Word 2007 spell check problem Word 2007 spell check problem is offline

I'm having some problem with fixing the word 2007 spell check. I have not
found a fix yet. I've tried to reinstalling office or just word, notting.
I've tried to delete the registry key, nothing works. I need your help....

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"I'm having some problem with fixing the word 2007 spell check" does not
tell us anything about what your problem is. It's like going to the doctor
and saying "I have a problem" and then expecting a diagnosis without your
telling the MD anything further.

WHAT problem are you having?

Reinstalling Office/Word almost *never* fixes any problems... unless you've
reformatted your HD and reinstalled Windows, as well... and that's usually a
bit drastic.

I would try the steps shown here (updating for Word 2007, of course) to see
if any of them helps:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

--

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jerry W Jerry W is offline

I'm also having problems with spell check in Word 2007. It just simply quit
checking the spelling. After a couple of embarrassments from spelling errors
in documents sent out, I discovered that spell check would indicate "spell
check complete" but it had not checked the document.

This is another example of the kinds of problems I've had with Windows
Vista (70+ hours resolving problems with one 6 hour online session with a
Microsoft technician) and other Windows 2007 products, including OneNote.

"Ryan" wrote:

Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the spell
check in Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jerry W[_2_] Jerry W[_2_] is offline

Better double check your documents in Word 2007! I discovered that despite
Spell Check indicating it had completed checking my document, it is not
checking spelling at all. I even entered spelling errors intentionally and it
fails to pick them up...

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan Ryan is offline

My spell check worked before a few weeks ago. I called Microsoft and they
told me that they couldnt help me because i did not by the product directly
from them. I called HP which was the suggestion from the Microsoft employee
and HP couldnt help either. The problem started after the program had been
working fine for months. The spell check settings and everything are fine.
Any more ideas?
Thanks

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
josh josh is offline

Has this been resolved yet. I cannot live without spell check. It works on my
desktop and not on my laptop. Please help.

"Ryan" wrote:

Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the spell
check in Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristen Kristen is offline

I have also printed out the information provided by Suzanne followed it
step-by-step and it is still failing to recognise any misspelt words in any
document using the Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 suite.

It will however, pick up any grammar errors e.g. the cat sat on the het. It
will pick up the should be The but het will not be picked up and corrected to
hat. In the spelling and grammar box that generates it only has a check box
for check grammar (which is ticked) but there is no check spelling box like
my previous version of Office XP.

Also, I believe this only started a couple of weeks ago when I went to
change the default language from English (United States) to English
(Australia). I was then getting an error message "Cannot find proofing tools
for English (Australia). If you have the proofing tools, try installing or
re-installing them. Contact your local reseller to obtain Office Proofing
tools. For more information, see the Microsoft Office Site." I then changed
it back to English (United States) and although the error message goes away
it is still not checking the spelling.

I'm desperate for fix, so any suggestions will be most welcome although it
sounds like a few people are having the same problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristen Kristen is offline

Further to my e-mail I have also found another forum on this topic and it was
suggested to check the following:

"In some cases in an upgrade installation to Office 2007 from Office
2003, the spellcheck files do not get installed. Look in your
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof" folder to see
whether the MSSP3EN.LEX and MSSP3ENA.LEX files are present. If not,
then reinstall the English proofing tools feature from your Office 2007
CD. "

I upgraded from Microsoft XP Professional to Microsoft Office Enterprise
2007. When I go to reinstall these files I get an error 1713. Setup cannot
install one of the required products for Microsoft Office Proof (English)
2007.

Could this be why I have a spell check missing and how do I go about
resolving this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristen Kristen is offline

I have repeated the process again for French and Spanish proofing tools (this
are the other two languages that came with my disk) and then misspelt common
French and Spanish and the dictionary is working for these languages. It
appears with the error 1713 message- English proofing tools are not been
installed at all. What would you suggestions be to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pensio pensio is offline

Hi,

After reading from the thread, the problem is not quite clear but I assume
that your English US speller does not work. I also assume that English
speller works fine in other applications. If this is true,your English
speller got disabled in Word. This happened because English speller crashed
sometimes and there was a message asking if you would like to disable the
speller so this crash will not happen and you might accidentally click yes.
Here is an easy fix:

1. Click Office icon Word Options Add-Ins
2. At the bottom, select Disabled Items from Manage drop down box Go
3. Msspell6.dll or some speller files display select it and click Enable
4. Exit Word and relaunch Word

English speller should work now. Let me know if it does not work.
Thank you,
Pensio

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pensio pensio is offline

One more thing, if it still does not work, please try delete the following
registry key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing
Tools\1.0
--
Thank you,
Pensio

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristen Kristen is offline

Where do you find the register key to delete it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pensio pensio is offline

1. From Start button Run
2. Type regedit
3. Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0

You might want to rename 1.0 to something like 1.0 old if you don't want to
lose your custom dictionary.

--
Thank you,
Pensio

"Kristen" wrote:

Where do you find the register key to delete it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristen Kristen is offline

Thank you my spell check is now working again for all programs after doing
this and then reinstalling the disk.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bill bill is offline

Hi Everyone,

I to have the same problem. When I upgraded to MS2007 I lost my spellcheck
and dictionary. The only message I received (vista OS) was that I required a
third party spellcheck program. I emailed MSN Customer support on February
10, 2008. This was their response:

"When you upgrade earlier versions of Office to the 2007 MOS, the old
spell-checking files are removed for some languages. These files are replaced
with newer versions included in the 2007 MOS and they are currently
incompatible with the MSN software."

"Rest assured that the product group is aware of the situation and is taking
steps to address this in the next clent release. However, there is no
estimated time frame for this new release." Etc., etc................

They told me to come to this forum for advice.

Bill

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Red Red is offline

Pensio,

Many thanks!! Your information has helped me solve my spell check problem in
Word 2007.

Have a great day.

"Ryan" wrote:

My spell check worked before a few weeks ago. I called Microsoft and they
told me that they couldnt help me because i did not by the product directly
from them. I called HP which was the suggestion from the Microsoft employee
and HP couldnt help either. The problem started after the program had been
working fine for months. The spell check settings and everything are fine.
Any more ideas?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beccie Beccie is offline

This worked for me. I was searching for an answer earlier this month as my
Word Spellcheck had stopped working and I had posted a thread around the
12th. Outlook, etc. continued to work but Word had stopped. We have 4 new
PC's and mine is the only one that had the problem. I had checked just about
all the settings between PC's to see what was different.
--
Bec

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stewart Rosario Stewart Rosario is offline

Mate

This really worked well....thanks heaps.....I hope Microsoft looks into this
and documents this somewhere, or even better fix this from happning again.

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Garry Garry is offline

Hi Pensio. I am having the same issue with Word 2003. I've tried following
you path but I get to proofing tools and get "custom dictionaries" with two
files. One is labeled as "default" and the other is "1". Both are type
REG_SZ. there is no data listing for "default" but "1" is CUSTOM.DIC. What
are my options? YOur assistance seems to have been great for a lot of users.
I really hope that you can assist me. Also, responses to my email do not
work so you can email me direct at . Thanks in advance.

Garry

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kay90215 kay90215 is offline

thank you so muhc it worked for me! ah u deff helped me because im in college
spell check safes my life and when it wasnt working i was worried

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glen[_2_] Glen[_2_] is offline

I have followed all the post and other strings as well to solve my problem
with spell checker. I have a Student Edition of Office Enterprise '07 and
getting pretty frustrateded with this whole thing. Spell check does not work
in Outlook or Word, but the Grammer check does. I am looking for more options
or ideas, or a patch that would fix this problem. Is there another
dictionary that I can download and use insted (instead)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See the part of
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/M...hingMisspelled
that applies to Word 2007.

http://word.mvps.org

"Glen" Glen @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message

I have followed all the post and other strings as well to solve my problem
with spell checker. I have a Student Edition of Office Enterprise '07 and
getting pretty frustrateded with this whole thing. Spell check does not
work
in Outlook or Word, but the Grammer check does. I am looking for more
options
or ideas, or a patch that would fix this problem. Is there another
dictionary that I can download and use insted (instead)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rhondasroom rhondasroom is offline

"Kristen" wrote:

Thank you my spell check is now working again for all programs after doing
this and then reinstalling the disk.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Kristen" wrote:

Thank you my spell check is now working again for all programs after doing
this and then reinstalling the disk.

Did you have to uninstall first. I went through the above but wasn't sure
what you were talking about when you said reinstalling the disk. I'm having
similar problems with spell check and when I did it it worked but only on
that one document. Let me know. THanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mastadson mastadson is offline

Hello pensio,

I have a spell checking problem with Word 2007 that I have not seen
addressed in this forum. My spell check works fine through most of my
document but then it stops working for some paragraphs. I was typing a paper
today and all of a sudden in the middle of a paragraph it stopped working. I
could enter misspelled words and it would not underline them and when I
checked the document with the spell check button it found no misspelled
words. As I moved down my document to the next header the spell checking
started working again. Please let me know what I can do to correct this. The
boxes for not checking spelling are not checked so that is not it. This error
with the program could adversly affect my grades in my masters level program
and that is unacceptable for me. Please led me a hand and find the cause of
this problem.

"Ryan" wrote in message
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the
spell
check in Word 2007?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arif, Multimedia University, Malaysia Arif, Multimedia University, Malaysia is offline

Dear Ryan,

Its not related to update or other things that is written earlier I guess.

I used to face the same problem but its solved now.

It depends on the language settings in your computer. if you make your
default language English, spell check will be done, else, would not. email :
for further clarification.

Thanks, Regards, Arif