Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peyton Todd

Default Adding Numbers to Headings

Journals in my field (linguistics) require headings of the following style:

1
1.1
1.2
2
2.1
2.1.1
2.1.2
2.2

I have just finished an article which I want to submit to such a journal,
but my headings (which I dutifully built using the official Word Heading1,
Heading2, etc. styles) don't have the numbers in front. How do I put them
there?

The journal I want to submit to, which requires headings like that, has a
template.dot file you can download and attach, and as you know, one can
request that the template apply to the document right away (a check box).
When I did that, it changed all the typefaces and fontsizes of my headings to
match theirs, so it recognizes which of my headings are 1, 2, etc. But it did
not add the little numbers to the left of them.

Previous questions I have asked in this forum lead me to suspect that what I
must do is define a style, in some way using the Bullets and Numbering
dialog, which has an option with numbers which look like that - but how?

And note that what I need to do is not just start with a plain vanilla
Heading1, Heading2, etc. and modify that; I need to get the typefaces, fonts,
etc. which go with their headings.

Thanks,

Peyton Todd
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peyton Todd

In 'Word Inside Out - 2002', p. 270, it tells me how to add the numbers - by
going to the B & N dialog as I suspected. But now I have a NEW PROBLEM. This
document has 104 different utterance numbers, also done with the B & N
dialog. They have their own special LISTNUM name, but nonetheless, now it
numbers them all as though they were heading at the same level as the section
they're in.

For example, heading 2.8 contains utterance examples (50), (51), (52), etc.
but they get numbered 2.9, 2,10, 2,11, etc. all the way to what should be
heading 2.9, which now becomes 2.20!

What to do?
--
Peyton Todd

"Peyton Todd" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peyton Todd

ANOTHER problem: When I apply the heading1, heading2, etc. from the target
journal's template.dot to my own headings, which now do have numbers 1.1,
1.2, etc. as part of them, my numbers go away! So their headings must contain
the information that they should NOT have numbers by them, even though the
journal's guidelines require it. How can I transfer the formatting of their
headings to my own, and still keep my numbers?
--
Peyton Todd