Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
feedscrn feedscrn is offline

Default h1, cs1, i1 header level and automatic numbering

I am new to Word 2007, and am trying to figure out the different
1st level header types (let's start with that). Currently, I have i1
as the top-level header available. It does not let me number the
chapter it's in though. The chapters need to be numbered sequentially.

Also, it seems that when i1 is being used, cs1 and h1 are not
available, and vice-versa. I have i1, h2, h3 currently.

Help....

Thank You, FeedScrn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I've no idea what you are talking about. What's 'i1' suppose to mean?

Try this site for some help where there is a whole section devoted to
numbering and headings: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"feedscrn" wrote in message

I am new to Word 2007, and am trying to figure out the different
1st level header types (let's start with that). Currently, I have i1
as the top-level header available. It does not let me number the
chapter it's in though. The chapters need to be numbered sequentially.

Also, it seems that when i1 is being used, cs1 and h1 are not
available, and vice-versa. I have i1, h2, h3 currently.

Help....

Thank You, FeedScrn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
feedscrn feedscrn is offline

Terry,

Thank You for your reply. I don't know what I1 is either...this is
the problem I'm having. I'm working on a doc that is a compilation of
chapters from many people. Somehow I1 turned out to be the top-level
chapter header in it. I'll look at the referenced site....

feedscrn....

On May 23, 6:11*am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
I've no idea what you are talking about. What's 'i1' suppose to mean?

Try this site for some help where there is a whole section devoted to
numbering and headings:http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Ahhhh, compilations. Always a challenge.

If you are using W2007, there is a slight chance that these styles names are
really built-in styles. In the Styles pane Options. If a checkmark
appears before "Hide built-in name when alternate name exists", clear it.
Then the style alias, I1, will appear with Heading 1 (like so: Heading 1, I1)
in the styles pane. If you are not using W2007 or if there is no checkmark
there, then these are user-made styles.

As you have noticed, only one style can be linked to a numbering level. So
before you think about numbering, you should get the heading levels
consistent throughout the document with only one style for each heading level.
Note though that if you want the the figures and tables to be chapter
numbered automatically, you must use Word's built-in heading styles. After
that, the numbering can be relatively easy.

Pam

feedscrn wrote:
Terry,

Thank You for your reply. I don't know what I1 is either...this is
the problem I'm having. I'm working on a doc that is a compilation of
chapters from many people. Somehow I1 turned out to be the top-level
chapter header in it. I'll look at the referenced site....

feedscrn....

I've no idea what you are talking about. What's 'i1' suppose to mean?

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
feedscrn feedscrn is offline

Hi Pam,

Thank you for your reply.I have a small question:
In W2007, I do not see the Styles pane Options path you
mention.

I see 5 style boxes on the main menu | Home tab, to the right.
There are three little buttons with arrows on them. The bottom one
of these has some options on it- at the bottom of the pop-up dialog:
Save Selection as new Quick Style
Clear Formatting
Apply Styles

There is a huge button immediately to the right of the three
small ones: labelled as "Change Styles". The pop-up dialog from this
has four options:
Style Set - there are 4 sub-level pop-up dialog window options
for this (one grayed out), but I'm not seeing the option you
mentioned:
_____Style Set pop-up options: approx 12 different global
style sets / Reset to Quick Styles from Template / Save as Quick Style
Set
Colors
Fonts
Set as Default

I also looked in the big button to the left, then at the bottom
of the pop-up dialog "Word Options".

I probably missed "Styles pane Options" somehow. Can you please
point this out for me?

Thank You,

FeedScrn

On May 26, 4:18*pm, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe
wrote:
Ahhhh, compilations. *Always a challenge. * *

If you are using W2007, there is a slight chance that these styles names are
really built-in styles. *In *the Styles pane Options. *If a checkmark
appears before "Hide built-in name when alternate name exists", clear it.
Then the style alias, I1, will appear withHeading1 (like so:Heading1, I1)
in the styles pane. * *If you are not using W2007 or if there is no checkmark
there, then these are user-made styles. *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You first have to open the Styles pane. It's the equivalent of the Styles
and Formatting task pane in Word 2002 and 2003. You can do this by clicking
the "dialog launcher" arrow in the bottom right-hand corner of the Styles
group (beneath the Change Styles button), or by pressing a keyboard shortcut
that I can never remember because I have it assigned to something else, or
by adding a button to your QAT to open the "Styles window." Once you have
the pane open, you'll see the Options... link at the bottom right.
http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
Ahhhh, compilations. Always a challenge.

If you are using W2007, there is a slight chance that these styles names
are
really built-in styles. In the Styles pane Options. If a checkmark
appears before "Hide built-in name when alternate name exists", clear it.
Then the style alias, I1, will appear withHeading1 (like so:Heading1, I1)
in the styles pane. If you are not using W2007 or if there is no checkmark
there, then these are user-made styles.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
feedscrn feedscrn is offline

Suzanne,

Oh OK, I got it. Thanks.

The option "Hide built-in name when alternate name exists", was
cleared, it turns out. Hate to see how this would work if it was
checked.

Thanks Again.... FeedScrn

On Jun 5, 4:49*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You first have to open the Styles pane. It's the equivalent of the Styles
and Formatting task pane in Word 2002 and 2003. You can do this by clicking
the "dialog launcher" arrow in the bottom right-hand corner of the Styles
group (beneath the Change Styles button), or by pressing a keyboard shortcut
that I can never remember because I have it assigned to something else, or
by adding a button to your QAT to open the "Styles window." Once you have
the pane open, you'll see the Options... link at the bottom right.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
feedscrn feedscrn is offline

There's something I did not know... Maybe MS will sometime make a
shortcut that uses 10 or more letters at a time... lol. All the alpha
keys... or all the numeral keys..., Ctrl | Shift. It's the price of
popular commands reserving the good keys, like what happens in
internet URLs.