Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Nicole818 Nicole818 is offline

Default Text form fields

I am experiencing the same problem as Todd. I followed Jay's solution but it
didn't work out quite the way I expected. Now, when the text exceeds the
length of the cell, it drops down to the next line of text and just the tops
of the letters in the next line appear, even when I print. I thought any
additional lines of text wouldn't show at all. Is there a setting for this?
Thought I could live with it, but it looks odd. Please help!

Nicole

On 7/27/09 Todd wrote:
I created a word form and was wondering how I can make it where when
someone is typing in the information in a field and they get to the
end of the field it doesn't space the field down and add another
line. I know I can limit the size of the text form field but even if
the size I limit the field to can extend past the table row/cell can
I lock the row/cell so it won't move down to the next line and have
the text just not be visible?

Hope this makes sense.

With the cursor in the cell, go to Table Table Properties Row. Check the
box for "Specify height" and enter a measurement big enough to show one line
of text but no more (which depends on the font size). Set the dropdown at
the right to "Exactly". Click OK.

This will behave as you described: It won't stop people from typing more
than a line of text, but only the first line will be visible.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The trick here is to set the "exact" row height large enough to show one
line of text, but not so large as to include any of the next line. That
measurement will depend on what font face and size you use to format the
form fields.

It isn't obvious, but you can enter the row height in points instead of
inches or centimeters; just include the letters pt at the end of the number,
and Word will calculate the conversion. Try entering 14pt or 15pt to see
what fits.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman