Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Brandon A. Brandon A. is offline

Default editing mail merge recipients - data disappearing?

After completing all 43 fields and clicking "add new" or "close," some of the
data entered will disappear. There is no rhyme or reason that I can
identify. I will enter the missing fields and close again and sometimes the
data will remain, sometimes it won't.

Any ideas why all the data is not saving?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which version of Word?

What is the data source (you mention 43 fields, but for example if you
create a new data source in Word, by default I think there are only
about 13) ?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

Brandon A. wrote:
After completing all 43 fields and clicking "add new" or "close," some of the
data entered will disappear. There is no rhyme or reason that I can
identify. I will enter the missing fields and close again and sometimes the
data will remain, sometimes it won't.

Any ideas why all the data is not saving?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Brandon A. Brandon A. is offline

2003. Data source is a Word database? I'm not sure how many columns default
but I have added several.

If I fill the information in on the database it all saves however if I am in
my Word template and adding new rows to the database via the edit function
under 'mail merge recipients,' the data does not all save.

I would like to use Excel spreasheet source but then I don't have the option
to edit and add new once in the Word doc. Plus I would have to format
everything in Word.

Brandon A. wrote:
After completing all 43 fields and clicking "add new" or "close," some of the
data entered will disappear. There is no rhyme or reason that I can
identify. I will enter the missing fields and close again and sometimes the
data will remain, sometimes it won't.

Any ideas why all the data is not saving?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, I do not know what is going wrong in this case. Word stores all
these values in text fields in a Jet (Access) database and it should
save a record even if you do not put anything in any of the fields.

The only thing I can suggest is that you create a new .mdb that that
copies all the data from the existing one but is recognised as an OAL by
Word. I don't think you can do it in Access (if you have that) -
although you can try. The key thing is that however you do it, you need
to locate your OAL (it should be in a .mdb file) and make a backup copy
first.

You can try the following macro - I have not tested it properly but it
used to do the job here.

There are some general instructions for setting up Word macros on Graham
Mayor's site at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

In this case you should
a. close any Word mail merge main documents that are linked to the OAL
b. make a copy of the OAL
c. when you have copied the macro code into a module in the VB Editor,
- ensure that you have put any "wrapped" lines of code back together
- use the VB Editor's Tools-References menu option to locate the
following 2 libraries and check them:
- Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.7 Library
- Microsoft ADO Ext. 6.0 for DDL and Security
(If you don't have libraries with those names, choose the
closest, e.g. Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.6 Library
- in strSourceOAL, specify the pathname of the copy OAL you made in
step (b)
- in strTargetOAL, specify the pathname of the OAL you want to
create. The .mdb must not already exist, but the folder it is in must
already exist
d. run the macro
e. if all goes well, create a new mail merge main document, attach the
new data source, and check that the data you expect is there. Then try
editing it and see if the Customize Columns button is now available. If
it is, then you can replace your old data source and continue.
'----------------------------------------------
Sub CreateOalAndCopy()
' Peter Jamieson 2009. Needs testing and error management
' Specify the OLE DB Provider.
Const strProvider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
' In the following line, specify the full path
' name of the Office Address List .mdb you are
' trying to fix
Const strSourceOAL = "c:\a\source.mdb"
' In this line, specify the full path name
' of a .mdb file. The folder must exist
' but the .mdb will be created
Const strTargetOAL = "c:\a\target.mdb"
Dim objCatalog As ADOX.Catalog
Dim objProcedure As ADOX.Procedure
Dim objTable As ADOX.Table
Dim objTables As ADOX.tables
Dim objView As ADOX.View
Dim objViews As ADOX.views
Dim objCommand As ADODB.Command
Dim objParameter As ADODB.Parameter
Dim strCommandText As String
Set objCatalog = New ADOX.Catalog
Set objCatalog.ActiveConnection = objCatalog.Create( _
"Provider='" & strProvider & "';" & _
"Data Source= '" & strTargetOAL & "';" & _
"Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;")
Debug.Print objCatalog.ActiveConnection
Set objCommand = New ADODB.Command
Set objCommand.ActiveConnection = objCatalog.ActiveConnection
' Office_Address_List should be the only Table
' Create a copy of it
strCommandText = " SELECT *" & _
" INTO [Office_Address_List]" & _
" FROM [Office_Address_List]" & _
" IN '" & strSourceOAL & "'"
' do it
objCommand.CommandText = strCommandText
objCommand.Execute
' Office Address List should be the only query.
' Create it
objCommand.CommandText = _
" CREATE VIEW [Office Address List] AS" & _
" SELECT *" & _
" FROM [Office_Address_List]"
objCommand.Execute
'objCatalog.views.Append "Office Address List", objCommand
Set objCommand = Nothing
Set objCatalog.ActiveConnection = Nothing
Set objCatalog = Nothing
End Sub