Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jon jon is offline

Default Saving files to memory stick

Hi,
I am wanting to save a lot of individual files from a web based program to
my memory stick, once I click on save they are in a Microsoft Word format - I
then have to select my memory stick before I can then save.
Is there a way of making my memory stick the default save location so I
don't have to select it every time?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Never save or write files directly to removable media. You risk ending up
with corrupt files.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jon" wrote in message
Hi,
I am wanting to save a lot of individual files from a web based program to
my memory stick, once I click on save they are in a Microsoft Word
format - I
then have to select my memory stick before I can then save.
Is there a way of making my memory stick the default save location so I
don't have to select it every time?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_4_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_4_] is offline

~sigh~

Here we go again...
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix

"Jon" wrote in message
Hi,
I am wanting to save a lot of individual files from a web based program
my memory stick, once I click on save they are in a Microsoft Word
format - I
then have to select my memory stick before I can then save.
Is there a way of making my memory stick the default save location so I
don't have to select it every time?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_4_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_4_] is offline

Jon,

Are you doing the save from within Word? If so, then JoAnne is (at least
partially) right in advising you to steer clear of saving files directly to
a memory stick from within Word. Most certainly, I would strongly recommend
against editing files on a memory stick; it's considerably safer to copy the
files to your computer and work with the local copy. There have been many
reports of Word files becoming corrupted when edited on removable media such
as memory sticks - especially when Word is not shut down completely prior to
removing the media.

My recommendation would be to save the files locally and use Windows
Explorer to copy the files to your memory stick. However, if you're feeling
brave or foolish - a very fine line in many cases - you *could* change the
default file location in Word to go to your memory stick. The exact process
for doing this varies depending on the version of Word, but since the
general opinion amongst those of us who use Word a lot is that saving
directly to removal media is a VERY BAD IDEA, I don't suppose you'll really
want the details...
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix