JPh12 JPh12 is offline
Junior Member

Default How to reset File menu entries ?

Found the answer: delete normal.dot.

Last edited by JPh12 : February 24th 12 at 10:26 PM Reason: found the answer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Without knowing what the question was, it's hard to say whether that drastic
solution was required. We generally advise people to rename, not delete,
Normal.dot, which preserves the old copy, from which many customizations can
be retrieved. If you were just trying to remove files from the MRU list or
commands from the menu or reset the File menu to its default state, there
are much easier and less drastic ways to do those specific tasks.

http://word.mvps.org

--
JPh12

JPh12 JPh12 is offline
Junior Member

I was simply trying to remove commands from the File menu that were inserted by a plugin (OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-in for Office) and which wouldn't go away. Besides, those added commands didn't show in the Customize Command window. I kept the old normal.dot, however, so I could recover it and remove the commands less drastically.

PS: I was searching for info on normal.dot in your MVP web site but the search engine is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

"JPh12" wrote in message

Found the answer: delete normal.dot.

--
JPh12
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

PS: I was searching for info on normal.dot in your MVP web site but the
search engine is broken.

Search has been down at http://word.mvps.org for a while, unfortunately. But
note that you can search via Google; to limit the number of hits, simply add
site:word.mvps.org.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491972 Wrote:
If you were just trying to remove files from the MRU list or
commands from the menu or reset the File menu to its default state,
there
are much easier and less drastic ways to do those specific tasks.

http://word.mvps.org

...-

-

--
JPh12

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The proper approach in this case is to remove the add-in, then remove the
commands either by dragging them off the menu while the Customize dialog is
open or by using Ctrl+Alt+Hyphen to click and delete.

A recent change in the way the mvps.org websites are managed (FrontPage
Server Extensions are no longer supported) has broken the search capability.
As Stefan points out, Google works just as well (probably better).

http://word.mvps.org

"JPh12" wrote in message

I was simply trying to remove commands from the File menu that were
inserted by a plugin (OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-in for Office) and
which wouldn't go away. Besides, those added commands didn't show in the
Customize Command window. I kept the old normal.dot, however, so I could
recover it and remove the commands less drastically.

PS: I was searching for info on normal.dot in your MVP web site but the
search engine is broken.

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491972 Wrote:
If you were just trying to remove files from the MRU list or
commands from the menu or reset the File menu to its default state,
there
are much easier and less drastic ways to do those specific tasks.

http://word.mvps.org

...-