genngerbread genngerbread is offline
Junior Member

Location: Canada
Default Problem opening downloaded Word files/templates

Greetings,
I am having trouble opening form-fillable Word documents downloaded from an Arts funder's website on my PC (Vista). They do open, but merely display a jumble of characters and symbols (predominantly musical, it appears!), and the file becomes Read-only, locked, what have you, andI cannot change anything (I thought about Selecting all and changing the font to something like Arial, but I can't even do that). The interesting thing is that the same documents open just fine on my laptop (Windows 7) and on my husband's Mac. I therefore surmise that the problem is with my version of Word, and regardless of how many different ways I download the document (including renaming it from my laptop and emailing it to my desktop PC), I get the same thing. I can even see the document properly in the email preview, but once I actually open it, game over. Any ideas what could be causing this in Word? (I have screenshots of what it looks like, but am unsure of how to attach them here). Many thanks!