Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Jason is offline

Default object link to password protected document

When I create an object in a word document, that links to a password
protected document, click on object, it opens file without asking for
password credentials. If file is opened any other way it asks for password
credentials or open read only, and that is what I want
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Describe the steps you took to insert this object and in which Word version.
Here you get a prompt for the password when the linked object is inserted
and on subsequent opening of the document.

Jason wrote:
When I create an object in a word document, that links to a password
protected document, click on object, it opens file without asking for
password credentials. If file is opened any other way it asks for
password credentials or open read only, and that is what I want

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Jason is offline

Version is Word 2003 SP2
Steps taken are as follows:
insert - object -create from file -browse for file, check off display as
icon
ok

inserts an icon in my word document, when icon is clicked, it just opens the
file with asking for credentials, and linked file is password protected
????
let me know if you know of another way of doing this, or fixing what I have
done

thanks in advance

Jason wrote:
When I create an object in a word document, that links to a password
protected document, click on object, it opens file without asking for
password credentials. If file is opened any other way it asks for
password credentials or open read only, and that is what I want

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should be prompted for the password when you insert the link. While the
document remains open that link will continue to be accessible. If you save
and close and re-open the document, and click the link, the password dialog
should be presented again.

What I suspect you have not done is to check the 'link to file' check box as
well as the icon box. This causes the content of the object to be embedded
into the document. If you then click the icon the content that you embedded
is displayed - this is not the original protected document, but a view of it
as the time it was inserted.

Jason wrote:
When I create an object in a word document, that links to a password
protected document, click on object, it opens file without asking
for password credentials. If file is opened any other way it asks
for password credentials or open read only, and that is what I want

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Jason is offline

I have recreated the object and am still getting the password protected
document to open without asking for credentials. I followed the step I have
outline and ensure that link to doc was checkmarked.

Do you have any other suggestions. Have you tried this yourself. Create
a document, password protect it. Open it, asks for password.
Now create object link, link to file, show as icon. then click the icon and
the other document opens right up

I am very confused. Makes me wonder how secure a password protected
document really is.

Thanks for replying Graham
Let me know if you have any other sugesstions

Jason wrote:
When I create an object in a word document, that links to a password
protected document, click on object, it opens file without asking
for password credentials. If file is opened any other way it asks
for password credentials or open read only, and that is what I want

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I tried it before replying to confirm how the process worked. The document
should only open without the password if its content is embedded in the
target document.

Jason wrote:
When I create an object in a word document, that links to a
password protected document, click on object, it opens file
without asking for password credentials. If file is opened any
other way it asks for password credentials or open read only, and
that is what I want

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Jason is offline

Problem solved, I was looking the wrong way for an answer, the problem was
not in the object link created, the problem was in the protected document
that I was linking to. When I password protected document, all I did was
apply a password to the document, but I did not choose to actually protect
the document. Now the document actually opens as read only without prompting
for password, but as soon as you try to edit document, it prompts you,
letting you know document is protected

all is good now, thank you very much for your time Graham

Jason wrote:
When I create an object in a word document, that links to a
password protected document, click on object, it opens file
without asking for password credentials. If file is opened any
other way it asks for password credentials or open read only, and
that is what I want

.

.

.

AngeliaN AngeliaN is offline
Junior Member

I encountered the same problem today. I have an Excel spreadsheet that is password protected to open. When I embed it into a Word document, I am prompted for the password. However, after I close the Word document and reopen it, the spreadsheet opens without a password. Alternatively, I tried using the encryption option for the spreadsheet, but it was even less secure in that I wasn't prompted for a password to embed it. This embedded spreadsheet also opens without a password. There must be some way to secure an embedded Excel file without securing the entire Word document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post