Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VS in Atlanta VS in Atlanta is offline

Default Did you know?

Did you know?
When you want to type characters that are not on the keyboard, Word has a
function called 'insert symbols.' Guess what? I looked for a simple division
sign. You would expect to find it under 'mathematical operators?' Think
again. The only division sign you will find is the slash. So when my kids
grow up and see a division sign, they will not know what it is. For that
matter there is no multiplication sign either. Once again, my kids will only
associate the star with a multiplication sign. Why, why, why are we letting
Microsoft make our kids dunces? They charge an arm and a leg for software
and what do you get in return? English that would make our English speaking
ancestors turn in their graves?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] is offline

Welcome to the computer age. If you don't want MS to make them dunces, stop
your kids from using computers, and take them out of the public school
system, spend time with them and fix the problem...of which you are part of.

"VS in Atlanta" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pecoflyer Pecoflyer is offline

'Tom [Pepper Wrote:
Willett;220859']Welcome to the computer age. If you don't want MS to
[...]

Thread moved to general discussion forum

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
*'Membership is free' (http://www.thecodecage.com)* & allows file
upload -faster and better answers

*Adding your XL version* to your post helps finding solution faster
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=60801

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] is offline

You may *think* it's been moved, but it will stay here, also.

"Pecoflyer" wrote in message
:
: 'Tom [Pepper Wrote:
: Willett;220859']Welcome to the computer age. If you don't want MS to
: make them dunces, stop
: your kids from using computers, and take them out of the public school
: system, spend time with them and fix the problem...of which you are
: part of.
:
: "VS in Atlanta" wrote in
: message
: ...
[...]
: --
: Pecoflyer
:
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
: Pecoflyer's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
: View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=60801
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
covingj covingj is offline

The division sign is there, you just have to look for it. In most fonts it is
under the Latin-1 subset (in Arial the keyboard shortcut is Alt+0247.) Also
it is character number 184 in the symbol font.

"VS in Atlanta" wrote:

Did you know?
When you want to type characters that are not on the keyboard, Word has a
function called 'insert symbols.' Guess what? I looked for a simple division
sign. You would expect to find it under 'mathematical operators?' Think
again. The only division sign you will find is the slash. So when my kids
grow up and see a division sign, they will not know what it is. For that
matter there is no multiplication sign either. Once again, my kids will only
associate the star with a multiplication sign. Why, why, why are we letting
Microsoft make our kids dunces? They charge an arm and a leg for software
and what do you get in return? English that would make our English speaking
ancestors turn in their graves?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

You're right that they aren't listed under mathematical operators. The cent
sign isn't found under currency symbols, either. But all of those symbols are
present and can be inserted.

The shortcut Alt 0247 will give you the division symbol (÷) and Alt 0215
will give the multiplication symbol (×). Use Alt 0162 for the cent sign (¢).

I don't know what version of Word you're using, but in my version (Word 2003
under Windows XP), I can insert symbols such as these from the Insert -
Symbol window by opening the Insert - Symbol window, selecting the font I'm
currently using (I usually use TNR), and setting the "From:" field to "ASCII
(decimal)." Then I can just scroll down through the list and ¡Viola! there
they are. If the font you're currently using doesn't contain the symbol you
want, try a different font. It'll be there somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"VS in Atlanta" wrote:

Did you know?
When you want to type characters that are not on the keyboard, Word has a
function called 'insert symbols.' Guess what? I looked for a simple division
sign. You would expect to find it under 'mathematical operators?' Think
again. The only division sign you will find is the slash. So when my kids
grow up and see a division sign, they will not know what it is. For that
matter there is no multiplication sign either. Once again, my kids will only
associate the star with a multiplication sign. Why, why, why are we letting
Microsoft make our kids dunces? They charge an arm and a leg for software
and what do you get in return? English that would make our English speaking
ancestors turn in their graves?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

BTW, you should *not* select the font you're using in Insert | Symbol. The
default setting is "(normal text)," which will insert the character in the
current font but also ensure that if you change the font of the rest of the
document, the character will change along with the rest. The exception is
that if you insert a character from a non-Unicode font (that is, one that
contains "dingbat" characters or symbols), it will be inserted as a
protected field specifying the font so that it will not be changed if you
change the font of the text.

http://word.mvps.org

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in message
You're right that they aren't listed under mathematical operators. The
cent
sign isn't found under currency symbols, either. But all of those symbols
are
present and can be inserted.

The shortcut Alt 0247 will give you the division symbol (÷) and Alt 0215
will give the multiplication symbol (×). Use Alt 0162 for the cent sign
(¢).

"VS in Atlanta" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Two additional points beyond what the others have suggested:

1- The examples of the symbols are certainly available from any number of
sources external of Word as well as external of the PC. Perhaps it would be
beneficial to expand the scope of your teaching materials, and

2- The symbols used to represent math operations in computing were
standardized long before Bill Gates & what evolved into Microsoft had
anything to say about it.

I get the feeling that your post is motivated by little more than a thinly
disguised opportunity for an anti-Microsoft rant - how does adherrence to
established standards for 2 math operators have nay influence whatsoever on
the education or intelligence of your kids, let alone impact teh English
language? On that note, do your kids happen to engage in text messaging by
any chance?

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix Gordon Bentley-Mix is offline

Bob,

I heard a rumour that MSFT is coming out with this cool new product that may
be of interest to the OP. It's called 'Paper'. Apparently it's made from
crushed up trees and stuff, and it's designed to allow input using a special
stylus called 'Pen'. However, there have been some bugs with Pen - something
to do with the method for handling errors and correcting invalid input.
Consequently, the release of Pen has been delayed a few months, so the buyers
of Paper may have a bit of difficulty using it effectively for a while.

Fortunately, Apple is planning on releasing a fully compatible alternative
to Pen called 'Pencil', which addresses the shortcomings in Pen by allowing
the user to simply reverse the stylus and, using a feature called 'Eraser',
rub out any mistakes. I expect multiple lawsuits for patent infringement will
follow shortly...
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Uninvited email contact will be marked as SPAM and ignored. Please post all
follow-ups to the newsgroup.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

[...]

zxclord123 zxclord123 is offline
Junior Member

If your child struggles with numbers, you can download free math worksheets for her to practice. These worksheets teach her the rules of comparing fractions and percentages, and can be used in other math problems as well. Several word problems are included to help her practice relating fractions to specific decimals and percentages. The best part about word problems is that they put math facts into practice! This way, she'll understand why they're important.