Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Phyllis Phyllis is offline

Default How do I scroll to the end/beginning of a document -Windows Vista

I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press 'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:03:01 -0700, Phyllis
wrote:

I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press 'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!

The standard shortcut keys in Word for moving to the beginning and end of the
document are Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End. As you noted, Home and End without the Ctrl
key move only in the current line.

These shortcuts and dozens of others are listed in the help topic "Keyboard
shortcuts for Microsoft Office Word". To start the help, press the F1 key or
click the small blue circle with a question mark in the upper right corner of
Word's window.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Press Ctrl+Home to go to the start and Ctrl+End to go to the end of the
document.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Phyllis" wrote:

I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press 'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

They brand name doesn't make a difference

From the Help file:
Move by one preview page when zoomed out. PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN
Move to the first preview page when zoomed out. CTRL+HOME
Move to the last preview page when zoomed out. CTRL+END

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Phyllis" wrote in message
I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press
'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I
have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What do those _mean_? What does the zoom setting have to do with the
functioning of Ctrl+Home?

Why does it refer to "preview pages" instead of the beginning and end
of the file?

On Apr 25, 8:35*pm, "JoAnn Paules"
wrote:
They brand name doesn't make a difference

From the Help file:

"Phyllis" wrote in message

I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press
'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I
have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect they may be referring to the action of those keys in Print
Preview. AFAIK, they work the same way when zoomed in.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
They brand name doesn't make a difference

From the Help file:

"Phyllis" wrote in message

I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to
the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on
the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press
'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I
have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, the Word 2007 help topic is laid out in some bizarre order, and the
shortcuts for navigating in Print Preview come a long way before those for
navigating in any other view.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:
They brand name doesn't make a difference

From the Help file:

"Phyllis" wrote in message

I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to
the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on
the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press
'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I
have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Copied directly from the Help file.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote:
They brand name doesn't make a difference

From the Help file:

"Phyllis" wrote in message

I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to
the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on
the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press
'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I
have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

That's exactly what Home & End by themselves are supposed to do. The strokes
for beginning/end of document involve the use of the Control key with those
keys.

However, on most laptops - regardless of brand - there is a key that must be
used to access the additional addressability of keys such as those that are
labeled in blue or some other color. It's typically marked as the Fn key,
but could be something else - check the documentation or Help for your
laptop. My guess is that the strokes you wish would be:

Fn+Control+Home
Fn+Control+End

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/25/09 8:03 PM, in article
, "Phyllis"
wrote:

I have a new Viao with Windows Vista but cannot work out how to get to the
top or end of a document in Word. There are keys with blue writing on the
bottom right of the keyboard with 'Home', 'End' etc, but when I press 'End'
it just takes me to the end of the line - not the end of the document. I have
to use the scroll bar which is too slow. Thanks for any advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So you said. It couldn't have come from anywhere else ... merely
demonstrating how much "Help" has degenerated. What ever happened to
"contextual help"?

wrote:

They brand name doesn't make a difference

From the Help file: