Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KMM KMM is offline

Default Recipient list check boxes won't stay unchecked

I am trying to merge an excel file into Word. I open the Edit Recipient list.
I unclick the check box at the top so that all the checkboxes become
unchecked. I then go through and check only those recipients I want included
and click okay. If I go back into Edit Recipient List all the checkboxes are
checked again. I've also tried just merging right after selecting the
recipients and it crashes because it says there are too many records (because
all the checkboxes are checked). What am I missing? Why won't it keep my list
selections?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Don't know really, but which version of Word, and how many records do
you have? When you first attach the data source, all the records should
be selected - if you do not change that selection, does Word
successfully perform a merge?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

KMM wrote:
I am trying to merge an excel file into Word. I open the Edit Recipient list.
I unclick the check box at the top so that all the checkboxes become
unchecked. I then go through and check only those recipients I want included
and click okay. If I go back into Edit Recipient List all the checkboxes are
checked again. I've also tried just merging right after selecting the
recipients and it crashes because it says there are too many records (because
all the checkboxes are checked). What am I missing? Why won't it keep my list
selections?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KMM KMM is offline

KMM wrote:
I am trying to merge an excel file into Word. I open the Edit Recipient list.
I unclick the check box at the top so that all the checkboxes become
unchecked. I then go through and check only those recipients I want included
and click okay. If I go back into Edit Recipient List all the checkboxes are
checked again. I've also tried just merging right after selecting the
recipients and it crashes because it says there are too many records (because
all the checkboxes are checked). What am I missing? Why won't it keep my list
selections?

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply. I was getting discouraged..

I'm using Word 2007. The spreadsheet has only 30 recipients or so, but Word
checks every row, even the rows that follow the recipients. So when it tries
to merge, it's trying to merge tens of thousands of records (or however many
rows a spreadsheet goes). One thought, the spreadsheet has blank rows in
between different groups of recipients. Would those blank rows throw it off
so that it can't tell where the list ends?

But that still begs the question of why when I uncheck all of them (by
unchecking the box at the top and then select just those I want, it re-checks
every row as soon as I close it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I'm using Word 2007. The spreadsheet has only 30 recipients or so,
but Word
checks every row, even the rows that follow the recipients.

With Excel, Word just assumes that everything in the sheet is part of
the data source. I don't think adding blank lines will help.

What you can do is select the range you want to merge in the Excel
worksheet, insert a range name, and connect to that range instead. The
only thing is that you will need to do that prior to each merge (because
Excel will not necessarily adjust the range the way you need if you
insert/delete rows. So this is only a good solution if you are doing the
merge yourself.