Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
BHW BHW is offline

Default Updating captions from Table 1 blah blah blah to Table 1. blah blahblah

Hi,

I've got a doc w/about 100 tables/figures. Style guidelines suggest
captions read Table X. blah blah blah

Is there a way (other than manual) to update my existing captions,
which lack the "." after the table number?

Also, I don't want the figure/table TOCs affected. I tried wildcards/
search/replace, but the wildcards don't seem to like the field codes
that are behind the table and figure numbers, e.g.{ SEQ Table \*
ARABIC } "

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

The following should work: Show field codes in Word, which you can do by
pressing Alt+F9 (acts as a toggle). Press Ctrl+H to display the Replace tab
of the Find and Replace dialog box.

"Find what": ^d SEQ

"Replace with": ^&.

Click Replace All.

When you are done, hide field codes again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"BHW" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a doc w/about 100 tables/figures. Style guidelines suggest
captions read Table X. blah blah blah

Is there a way (other than manual) to update my existing captions,
which lack the "." after the table number?

Also, I don't want the figure/table TOCs affected. I tried wildcards/
search/replace, but the wildcards don't seem to like the field codes
that are behind the table and figure numbers, e.g.{ SEQ Table \*
ARABIC } "

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
BHW BHW is offline

"BHW" wrote in message

Hi,

I've got a doc w/about 100 tables/figures. Style guidelines suggest
captions read Table X. blah blah blah

Is there a way (other than manual) to update my existing captions,
which lack the "." after the table number?

Also, I don't want the figure/table TOCs affected. I tried wildcards/
search/replace, but the wildcards don't seem to like the field codes
that are behind the table and figure numbers, e.g.{ SEQ Table \*
ARABIC } "

Thanks!

This ... kind of worked great, but kind of didn't. The figure captions
indeed show up as Figure 1. blah blah blah, but a cross reference to
that figure now reads "In Figure 1. we see that ..." I don't want the
"." in the cross reference - looks like the end of a sentence. I think
the solution is to (1) remove the period that's become part of the SEQ
and (2) add the period to the caption, e.g., Figure 1 (automatically
generated) and ". blah blah blah" - Or is there a simpler work around?
Anyway, thanks for the first suggestion. Can you help with this one?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
BHW BHW is offline

On Jan 25, 8:55*am, BHW wrote:
On Jan 22, 1:58*pm, "Stefan Blom"

"BHW" wrote in message

[...]

I tried the following:
1) alt F9 to show codes
2) find ^d SEQ / replace with "^& " (note space after &)
3) alt F9 to hide codes
4) find " ." and replace with "."
5) select all, F9 to update cross refs

- seems to get rid of period after cross ref. Not sure why period ever
showed up in the first place.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
BHW BHW is offline

On Jan 25, 8:55*am, BHW wrote:
On Jan 22, 1:58*pm, "Stefan Blom"

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Since ^d SEQ should only find SEQ fields, not the REF fields used by
cross-references, perhaps you just used ^d (and not ^d SEQ) the first time
you tried the replace operation? Searching for ^d would find any field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"BHW" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 8:55 am, BHW wrote:
On Jan 22, 1:58 pm, "Stefan Blom"

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Since ^d SEQ should only find SEQ fields, not the REF fields used by
cross-references, perhaps you just used ^d (and not ^d SEQ) the first time
you tried the replace operation? Searching for ^d would find any field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"BHW" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 8:55 am, BHW wrote:
On Jan 22, 1:58 pm, "Stefan Blom"

"BHW" wrote in message

[...]

Table Captions Rahul Microsoft Word Help 1 January 28th 08 11:26 AM
Table captions converted to figure captions, & vice versa bufossil Microsoft Word Help 12 May 18th 07 08:10 AM
Table of Figures - Changes to Figure Captions not updating kendra Microsoft Word Help 3 February 8th 07 10:01 AM
table captions Rachel Tables 4 June 14th 06 02:29 AM
blah... randomgal4eva New Users 0 January 17th 06 09:16 PM