Glenn R Glenn R is offline
Junior Member

Default Unwanted Style Changes

My company has a document template that has a custom style set. For some reason, the numbering is disappearing from the styles. If i open a document with the correct styles and save as a quick style set, the numbering disappears from it. Everything else about the styles stays the same but the numbering is gone. In some cases, it's only happened with one of the three numbering levels.

The only workaround that i have found is to copy a heading from another document, select it and then 'update style to match selection.' Using the format painter between the documents does not solve the problem.

Our documents get a lot of cutting and pasting from other documents with different styles so that's likely the root of the problem but it seems to manifest itself into 'clean' documents that have been started from scratch as well.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The "bible" for numbering is
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ering2003.html (for Word 2003
and earlier) or
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html,
appropriate. Set up your outline-numbered/multilevel list linked to styles
as Shauna describes, and it is practically unbreakable.

http://word.mvps.org

--
Glenn R

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Apparently the underlying list format, the so-called list template, doesn't
follow when you switch style sets. A safer approach would be to set up a
template with your style-based numbering. You could then easily create
templates based on the template whenever you need that particular
formatting. See the article(s) that Suzanne linked to.

To add the formatting of your template to an existing document: Create a new
document based on your template. Then insert the content of your existing
document into the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Glenn R" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote

A safer approach would be to set up a template with your style-based
numbering. You could then easily create templates based on the
template
whenever you need that particular formatting.

if people are used to use styles consistently, and if people most time
avoid direct formatting, in a document this option can be helpful:
Word 2003: Tools | Templates and Add-Ins | Automatically update
document styles
Word 2010: Developer tab | Document template ...
--
Regards from Germany
Lisa [MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course I meant to write that you create *documents* based on the
template.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

Apparently the underlying list format, the so-called list template, doesn't
follow when you switch style sets. A safer approach would be to set up a
template with your style-based numbering. You could then easily create
templates based on the template whenever you need that particular
formatting. See the article(s) that Suzanne linked to.

To add the formatting of your template to an existing document: Create a new
document based on your template. Then insert the content of your existing
document into the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed, "Automatically update document styles" might be useful in a
corporate environment. I'm not sure how well it works in conjunction with
*numbered* styles, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message
if people are used to use styles consistently, and if people most time
avoid direct formatting, in a document this option can be helpful:
Word 2003: Tools | Templates and Add-Ins | Automatically update
document styles
Word 2010: Developer tab | Document template ...
--
Regards from Germany
Lisa [MVP Word]

Glenn R Glenn R is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the info folks. I don't think that the template was built quite as robustly as it could have so I'm going to start from scratch and get clear of all of the baggage that the template has built up.

I appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post