Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
PatJ

Default How to control (chapter-page number) paging?

Hi,

I'm having some issues trying to use "chapter - page number" in separate
documents.
The situation:
I have created chapters 1 and 2 with sub chapters 2.1, 2.2 etc for Document
A. Now I've created Document B as a continuation of Document A but begins
with sub chapter 2.4. The format I'm using for my paging is "Heading1 - Page
Number". Apparently since I'm starting with a Heading2 format (chapter 2.4)
in Document B, is there a way for the paging for "chapter" to begin at 2?

Note that I have other chapters in Document B, so the "Heading1 - Page
Number" now begins with chapter 3 instead of the intended 2.

Kindly advice. Thanks.

Pat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Pat

PatJ wrote:
I'm having some issues trying to use "chapter - page number" in separate
documents.
The situation:
I have created chapters 1 and 2 with sub chapters 2.1, 2.2 etc for Document
A. Now I've created Document B as a continuation of Document A but begins
with sub chapter 2.4. The format I'm using for my paging is "Heading1 - Page
Number". Apparently since I'm starting with a Heading2 format (chapter 2.4)
in Document B, is there a way for the paging for "chapter" to begin at 2?

Note that I have other chapters in Document B, so the "Heading1 - Page
Number" now begins with chapter 3 instead of the intended 2.

Kindly advice. Thanks.

Two questions up front:

1) why do you (have to) split, and
2) why not split at the end of a level-1-chapter?

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
PatJ

Dear Robert,

In answer to both your questions,
1) why do you (have to) split, and
2) why not split at the end of a level-1-chapter?

The reason for the split is due to the document size as there are many
screen captures included in the document. Apparently in my case chapter 2 is
pretty lengthy and thereby I've to split it up.

Hope that answers your questions.

Rgds,
Pat

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Pat

PatJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

PatJ wrote:
The reason for the split is due to the document size as there are many
screen captures included in the document. Apparently in my case chapter 2 is
pretty lengthy and thereby I've to split it up.
The situation:
I have created chapters 1 and 2 with sub chapters 2.1, 2.2 etc for Document
A. Now I've created Document B as a continuation of Document A but begins
with sub chapter 2.4. The format I'm using for my paging is "Heading1 - Page
Number". Apparently since I'm starting with a Heading2 format (chapter 2.4)
in Document B, is there a way for the paging for "chapter" to begin at 2?

I would not want to do it that way. I'd always split up logically if at
all: Filesize these days should not be an issue, and if it was, don't
embedd the screenshots or other grafx/objects (only link them).

If you must split, then don't bother about the numbering but compile a
central document for printing (inserting all chapters via
INCLUDETEXT-fields). That way, the numbering will be correct in this
central document.

If you need to have "live" numbering in the smaller documents, there are
a couple of ways to get there. The most elegant probably to insert a
LISTNUM field at the top of these documents that points to the
listtemplate of the outline numbering scheme used in your headings. This
field sets the numbering to the desired state.

In your scenario, at the top of your second document, the relevant field
would have to look like this:

{ LISTNUM MyHeadingNumbering \l 2 \s 3 }

The field itself will show 1.3 (and it can be formatted as white or hidden.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS