Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chaim Caron

Default Lost Spell Checking in Word 97

My Spell Checker is gone from my Word 97 installation.
When I go to Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar, all the spell checking
options are disabled (greyed out).
How can I turn spell checking back on?
I have the CD, of course.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom

First, take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

If this doesn't help, then see the following KB article:

WD97: Spelling, Grammar Not Available in Word Running on Window 2000
or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257643/en-us

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Chaim Caron" wrote in message
My Spell Checker is gone from my Word 97 installation.
When I go to Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar, all the spell

checking
options are disabled (greyed out).
How can I turn spell checking back on?
I have the CD, of course.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chaim Caron

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for your message.
I followed the instructions in the second doc (kb/257643) but got stuck at
this instruction:

3.Select the first registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Spelling

because there is no key "Spelling" under "Proofing Tools".
This seems to be an installation problem.
Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall Word?

I should add: this problem (losing the spell checker) started when I had
to reinstall the OS after a virus attack. So this does sound like an
install problem.

When I installed Word, I did not install all the features. Perhaps a
feature I did not install includes Spell Checker. Perhaps I should add all
the features I did not install rather than uninstalling and reinstalling.
Do you know which feature includes Spell Checker? I looked very carefully
during the install process and did not see any explicit references to Spell
Checker.

Thanks very much, Chaim

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
First, take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

If this doesn't help, then see the following KB article:

WD97: Spelling, Grammar Not Available in Word Running on Window 2000
or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257643/en-us

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Chaim Caron" wrote in message
My Spell Checker is gone from my Word 97 installation.
When I go to Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar, all the spell

checking
options are disabled (greyed out).
How can I turn spell checking back on?
I have the CD, of course.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chaim Caron

Hi Stefan,
I found the problem. When installing, I must install: Office Tools |
Spell Checker.
Thanks for the help, Chaim