Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Bennett

Default Customised Settings

I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they work fine
until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the customised settings are
lost.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

If you are using Acrobat 7 - see the last part of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Terry Bennett wrote:
I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they
work fine until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the
customised settings are lost.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Galen

In ,
Terry Bennett had this to say:

I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they
work fine until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the
customised settings are lost.

Any thoughts?

Does this help?

Your toolbars or menus are missing or your settings are not retained ... :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242368

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"We approached the case, you remember, with an absolutely blank mind,
which is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply
there to observe and to draw inferences from our observations." -
Sherlock Holmes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Bennett

Graham. Yes I do have Acrobat 7 (not that I ever use it).

I would be happy to use the Shift + File + SaveAll method as I rarely make
changes to my settings once they are in place, but that didn't have any
effect when I tried it.

Must admit that I'm nervous about tampering with Registry settings but how
do I access them in the first place?

Terry Bennett wrote:
I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they
work fine until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the
customised settings are lost.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Bennett

Thanks for the pointer.

I am not using Full Screen and have only the Standard and Formatting
toolbars in use. I also am starting Word from the Programmes list rather
than a shortcut. Using the /a switch makes no difference and when I search
form Normal.dot nothing is found!

"Galen" wrote in message
In ,
Terry Bennett had this to say:

I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they
work fine until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the
customised settings are lost.

Any thoughts?

Does this help?

Your toolbars or menus are missing or your settings are not retained ... :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242368

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/
http://kgiii.info

"We approached the case, you remember, with an absolutely blank mind,
which is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply
there to observe and to draw inferences from our observations." -
Sherlock Holmes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

You have not read the article thoroughly as it points to a download of an
update to fix this problem with a hyperlink to the Adobe site!

The workarounds and registry fix are only required if you don't update
Acrobat.
Access the registry by running regedit from Windows start run - see
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm for a (different) example

Terry Bennett wrote:
I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they
work fine until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the
customised settings are lost.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Bennett

Graham. I did read the article but the download doesn't work! I get a
message saying that it can't be installed because the programme to be
upgraded may be missing.

Terry Bennett wrote:
I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they
work fine until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the
customised settings are lost.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

It sounds to me like you don't have Acrobat 7, but Acrobat 7 Reader, which
is another program entirely. It is only Acrobat 7 that my web site and the
Adobe link refer to.

If you don't have Acrobat 7, then it is possible that you have some other
add-in that is causing the problem -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm

Terry Bennett wrote:
I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they
work fine until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the
customised settings are lost.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Bennett

Thanks Graham. Perversely, it now seems to be working OK so I'll let
sleeping dogs lie for the time being!

Thanks again for your advice.

Terry Bennett wrote:
I am running Word 2003. Every time I customise the toolbars they
work fine until I re-start my computer, whereupon all of the
customised settings are lost.

Any thoughts?

Why does the tool bar not remember my customised settings? Turlough Microsoft Word Help 1 August 3rd 05 09:45 AM
NONE TO HELP !!!! - ALL of my Office Settings has gone Jae Microsoft Word Help 0 April 14th 05 12:33 AM
ALL of my Office Settings has gone Jae Microsoft Word Help 0 April 5th 05 12:05 PM
Template settings TRM Page Layout 1 February 7th 05 12:11 PM
template settings TRM Microsoft Word Help 1 February 2nd 05 05:23 PM