Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SharronTucker

Default Footnotes with different numbering

Law Professors want to create articles with footnotes that are numbered
randomley depending on what section of a case they are quoting. So the
numbering could be 1, 2, 9, 11, 4, 5, 6, 22, 24, etc. How can I accomplish
this? I have tried section breaks, and custom marks and nothing seems to
work. HELP!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are there actual footnotes associated with these reference numbers? If not,
just add the reference numbers as plain text. Or, if they refer to a
reference list at the end, use a cross-reference to the paragraph number of
the numbered item.

"SharronTucker" wrote in message
Law Professors want to create articles with footnotes that are numbered
randomley depending on what section of a case they are quoting. So the
numbering could be 1, 2, 9, 11, 4, 5, 6, 22, 24, etc. How can I

accomplish
this? I have tried section breaks, and custom marks and nothing seems to
work. HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SharronTucker

Yes, these are actual footnotes with a footnote number in the text of the
article and a footnote number in the footnote section at the bottom of the
page so plain text would not work since they need to refer to the footnote.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are there actual footnotes associated with these reference numbers? If not,
just add the reference numbers as plain text. Or, if they refer to a
reference list at the end, use a cross-reference to the paragraph number of
the numbered item.

"SharronTucker" wrote in message
Law Professors want to create articles with footnotes that are numbered
randomley depending on what section of a case they are quoting. So the
numbering could be 1, 2, 9, 11, 4, 5, 6, 22, 24, etc. How can I

accomplish
this? I have tried section breaks, and custom marks and nothing seems to
work. HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have never heard of using footnotes that don't have consecutive numbering;
I don't believe this is realistically possible in Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are there actual footnotes associated with these reference numbers? If

not,
just add the reference numbers as plain text. Or, if they refer to a
reference list at the end, use a cross-reference to the paragraph number

of
the numbered item.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"SharronTucker" wrote in

message
Law Professors want to create articles with footnotes that are

numbered
randomley depending on what section of a case they are quoting. So

the
numbering could be 1, 2, 9, 11, 4, 5, 6, 22, 24, etc. How can I

accomplish
this? I have tried section breaks, and custom marks and nothing seems

work. HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SharronTucker

Well, you know lawyers, they think outside the box. I did find a way to do
this. You have to do it while you are creating the document. When you need
an odd numbered footnote, Use the Custom option in footnote numbering, leave
it set to continuous and whole document and you can number them any old way
you want or even use symbols. thanks for your reply to my initial request
and your followup, this is the first time I have posted something and
actually gotten a reply.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

We've met this trick before, for a different purpose--Word allows you to
have two separate series of notes, *if* one is autonumbered and the other is
custom. It can be quite handy.

(Also, it sounds like the lawyers just need to duplicate a note that exists
within a quotation--that's why the numbering is weird, for accurate
reproduction of the quotation)

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In instances such as you cite, I always do the quotation footnotes manually,
inserting the footnote immediately beneath the quotation rather than mixed
in with the other footnotes in the document.

.. .

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/