Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Narowr

Default I want fields to repeat - please help!

Hi,

I'm trying to create a template to be used at work so that all employees
will be using the same format for all outgoing letters. I created the
template as a form with several very simple fields. Since I can't use a field
in the header, but all our documents require that the name of the person to
whom the letter is addressed and their company be listed in the header of the
second page, and since as soon as I lock my form, I can no longer make any
changes in the header - I'm freaking out.

I managed to do a copy / paste special and paste the link to show up instead
of a field, but of course, it's linked to my template - not the document that
people will be working in, so the name and company don't change in the 2nd
page header when they're entered at the top of the letter.

Wow, that was hard to explain. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

In the header, use a cross reference to the text of the formfield containing
the data that you want to be repeated.

But, using a template with formfields that has to be protected is not going
to be very satisfactory as a basis for the preparation of letters due to the
limitation on the use of many of Word's features as a result of the
protection. I would suggest that you use a userform instead.

See the article "How to create a Userform" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Narowr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You can use a REF field in a header, but you will need an update macro run
on exit from the associated form field to update it. Use the code at
Alternatively format the field with a character style with a unique name and
use a Styleref field.