Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
William William is offline

Default TABLE FORMAT STUMPER

XP/2003

I have a document with a table whose rows "resist" allowing some formatting
changes.

1. In a cell that is about .4 inches tall, the text (Verdana 10) is aligned
left on the bottom border. If I select align/top/left on the Tables and
Borders toolbar, the text doesn't budge. If I select the row, go to
Tables/Table Properties/Cell, the "Top" alignment button IS selected, but the
text nevertheless remains at the bottom of the row. I have "Reveal
Fomatting" on, and can not see any formatting marks in the 1/4 inch space
above the text. If I put my cursor on the text, and then hit the "UP"
directional arrow, the cursor jumps all the way into the row above, which to
me is an indication that there is no formatting in the space preventing the
text from aligning on the top border. Lastly, if I specify the row to be
exactly .25" high, the row becomes less tall, but only the space at the top
is visible and not the text as the row is no longer tall enough to allow
viewing of both the top space and the text on the bottom !

Also, I am unable to make these .4 rows less tall by "grabbing" and moving
the bottom border. These rows are specified as "at least" .18", but I can
not size them manually below the .4" without specifying another exact figure.

2. In one row with 5 cells, I can specify that the text in the far left cell
be positioned at the top, but when I try to position the text in the four
cells to the left of the first cell, the text moves up, but not as far as the
text in the first cel

This one has stumped a pretty experienced office staff.

Wm
--
William
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Make sure the paragraph doesn't have any Space Before, but also consider
reducing the line spacing, as there may be excess line spacing above the
line in Verdana that has this effect.

"William" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
William William is offline

Suzanne, Suzanne, Suzanne,

How many times have I seen that name,
then seen a wicked problem tamed.
May fame and riches follows thee;
and your name forever blessed be.
--
William

"William" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
William William is offline

It was the extra space above the line of text.
--
William

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

So which was it? g

"William" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Editor Editor is offline

AMEN to that one, William! Suzanne seems to have ALL the right answers!
Editor (Thank you, Suzanne, for your help loooong ago!)

"William" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm glad that some of my rapidly dwindling knowledge is still of use to
someone.

"William" wrote in message
[...]

Format table colums cells to show $XX,XXX format Confused report writer Tables 3 April 24th 08 02:28 PM
How to format table jeremy Tables 1 November 7th 06 09:28 PM
Table format Cam6471 Microsoft Word Help 2 March 22nd 06 03:24 PM
table format tomweb Microsoft Word Help 1 January 20th 06 03:18 PM
Getting the format of a table Kind writer/user/programmer Tables 0 October 29th 04 02:52 AM