Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
cayce cayce is offline

Default can't see cursor/selection in Word 2007 table

I am using W2007 and cannot see the cursor in a table or selections when I
make them inside the table. I do see changes I am making after the fact but
it's hard to tell if I 'm in the right places.

I created this table on a landscape page. It has continuous section breaks
before and after the table since I wanted the table's 4 columns of info to
repeat and spread across the width of the page.

Has anyone else come across this and have a fix suggestion?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KurtisT KurtisT is offline

I have this problem too, on at least 2 different computers. It's a file that
was started in 2003, though I don't know if that matters. No solution yet
either, sorry!

"cayce" wrote:

I am using W2007 and cannot see the cursor in a table or selections when I
make them inside the table. I do see changes I am making after the fact but
it's hard to tell if I 'm in the right places.

I created this table on a landscape page. It has continuous section breaks
before and after the table since I wanted the table's 4 columns of info to
repeat and spread across the width of the page.

Has anyone else come across this and have a fix suggestion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This is a known bug and has been reported. It happens when you have tables
in multiple columns and have heading rows repeated. It seems to affect only
the first page of the table. There is no workaround that allows you to keep
both the snaking columns and the repeated heading rows, unfortunately,
though eliminating either one will fix the problem.

"cayce" wrote:

I am using W2007 and cannot see the cursor in a table or selections when
make them inside the table. I do see changes I am making after the fact
but
it's hard to tell if I 'm in the right places.

I created this table on a landscape page. It has continuous section
breaks
before and after the table since I wanted the table's 4 columns of info
repeat and spread across the width of the page.

Has anyone else come across this and have a fix suggestion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

There are actually a couple of workarounds. One is to work in Print Preview
mode with the Magnifier turned off (the magnifier is the annoying mouse
pointer that makes you think you're limited to zooming the text in Print
Preview mode, when in fact you can edit freely in that mode). This lets you
work in WYSIWYG mode, and the selection and cursor location now display
correctly.

The other workaround--if you don't need to see the columns--is to switch to
Draft or Web Layout view... do what needs to be done to the table, and then
switch back to Print Layout view when you want to see what the document will
look like.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"cayce" wrote:

I am using W2007 and cannot see the cursor in a table or selections when
make them inside the table. I do see changes I am making after the fact
but
it's hard to tell if I 'm in the right places.

I created this table on a landscape page. It has continuous section
breaks
before and after the table since I wanted the table's 4 columns of info
repeat and spread across the width of the page.

Has anyone else come across this and have a fix suggestion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

PS... As it turns out, once you switch into Print Preview mode and then back
to Print Layout view, the display bug appears to be suppressed for the
balance of that editing session (i.e., until you close and reopen the
document). So, you don't even have to work in Print Preview mode at all.
Just switch into Print Preview mode and back to Print Layout view. To make
Print Preview easier a while back, I added it to my QAT. If you put the
Print Preview and Print Layout buttons side by size on the QAT, it is very
easy to switch back and forth. Or... you could write a macro to quickly make
the switch to "jiggle" the setting to allow correct display.

--

"cayce" wrote:

I am using W2007 and cannot see the cursor in a table or selections
when I
make them inside the table. I do see changes I am making after the fact
but
it's hard to tell if I 'm in the right places.

I created this table on a landscape page. It has continuous section
breaks
before and after the table since I wanted the table's 4 columns of info
repeat and spread across the width of the page.

Has anyone else come across this and have a fix suggestion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

PSS... I just discovered that the problem can revert during the same
session. But, re-jiggling Print Preview restores correct display (at least
for a while... haven't figured out the trigger, but it might be the
AutoRecover interval).

--

"cayce" wrote:

I am using W2007 and cannot see the cursor in a table or selections
when I
make them inside the table. I do see changes I am making after the
fact but
it's hard to tell if I 'm in the right places.

I created this table on a landscape page. It has continuous section
breaks
before and after the table since I wanted the table's 4 columns of
info to
repeat and spread across the width of the page.

Has anyone else come across this and have a fix suggestion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
cayce cayce is offline

thanks Herb and Suzanne for giving this your best shot.

I gave up on the multicolumn approach in Word and copy/pasted from Excel
instead into Word. I made the columns the length I needed in Excel and named
the heading rows manually. It turned out to be the most troublefree solution
and is producing a nice result.