Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Kratochvil Jan Kratochvil is offline

Default Relative path for subdocuments.

I created an main document and inserted many subdocuments.
ViewOutlineShow DocumentInsert
---
Now I have problem if I open the file (main doc) and want to open the
subdocuments, than is problem with subdocuments.
The hyperlinks are still the same - absolute and the subdocuments could be
not opened.

Exist any possibility how to prepare subdocuments with relative path?

--
Regards
Jan Kratochvil
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Most of the people posting here dont know much about master documents,
because:

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

You might also check these links for potential workarounds:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

See the €śNumber Pages Across Files€ť section at this link:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MiscFram.htm

IncludeText Fields can partially substitute for the Master Document
feature€”for an introduction to them, see he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...textfields.htm

Word experts generally advise combining long documents into one file, if
possible, and you will find more information on controlling those big
files he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

Jan Kratochvil wrote:
I created an main document and inserted many subdocuments.
ViewOutlineShow DocumentInsert
---
Now I have problem if I open the file (main doc) and want to open the
subdocuments, than is problem with subdocuments.
The hyperlinks are still the same - absolute and the subdocuments could be
not opened.

Exist any possibility how to prepare subdocuments with relative path?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Kratochvil Jan Kratochvil is offline

Thanks for links.
I still do not know if is possible to have subdocuments with relative path.
--
Regards
Jan Kratochvil

Jan Kratochvil wrote:
I created an main document and inserted many subdocuments.
ViewOutlineShow DocumentInsert
---
Now I have problem if I open the file (main doc) and want to open the
subdocuments, than is problem with subdocuments.
The hyperlinks are still the same - absolute and the subdocuments could be
not opened.

Exist any possibility how to prepare subdocuments with relative path?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KLB KLB is offline

I'd also like to know how to do this. I have a master document with 95
subdocs, and manually recreating the master isn't a terribly workable
solution. I need to be able to work on the master on my local C: drive, then
move the files to a network server with a different drive letter (where my
local C: drive is remapped to a different letter). In Word 2003, I just
needed to copy the folder to the network drive; since the master and all
subdocs are just in one flat folder and since in Word 2003 the links were
relative, this worked fine. Since the upgrade to Word 2007, it appears that
the links are now absolute, with no easy way to redefine them other than
resaving all 95 individual subdocs or recreating the master. Any suggestions
(other than to avoid using master documents) would be greatly appreciated.

"Jan Kratochvil" wrote:

I created an main document and inserted many subdocuments.
ViewOutlineShow DocumentInsert
---
Now I have problem if I open the file (main doc) and want to open the
subdocuments, than is problem with subdocuments.
The hyperlinks are still the same - absolute and the subdocuments could be
not opened.

Exist any possibility how to prepare subdocuments with relative path?

--
Regards
Jan Kratochvil
WIN XP Pro SP2, Office 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Jan

Jan Kratochvil wrote:
I still do not know if is possible to have subdocuments with relative path.

I've never been tempted enough to try this, but I've saved links to past
discussions on this topic, so FWIW:

relative paths master2subdocs
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...72c3f%40speedy
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cb8193dd2ed38c