Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Starke

Default "HTML Source" greyed out in View menu

"HTML Source" is greyed out in my View menu in Word 2000 - with any and all
documents. The problem may (or may not) have started when I installed the
latest critical updates. Perhaps I have to do something to enable the HTML
editor, but I have not been able to find a way to do this in Word. I would
greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Shirley:

You're sure the document concerned IS in HTML format?

Sorry: that's all I can think of.

There was an add-in for Word 2000: Microsoft HTML Filter 2. You need to
insure that that is installed and stays that way.

Hope this helps

On 27/3/06 5:06 PM, in article
, "Shirley Starke"
wrote:

"HTML Source" is greyed out in my View menu in Word 2000 - with any and all
documents. The problem may (or may not) have started when I installed the
latest critical updates. Perhaps I have to do something to enable the HTML
editor, but I have not been able to find a way to do this in Word. I would
greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Starke

Thank you! I found the answer - which was probably so simple that you assumed
I had tried it in the first place. I remembered that there was an option in
Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, to enable features in Office, and
wondered if I had to add the HTML Editor. It turned out that I did - I added
it from the CD, and now it is working fine.

I've thought of getting that filter, but haven't done it yet since I
sometimes edit my web pages on the server, and later FTP them back to my
computer and edit them again in Word. If I used the filter, I assume, I
wouldn't be able to to that. Some of them are very long, but they seem to
open in a reasonable amount of time, even with my dial-up connection.

Thanks again!

wrote:

"HTML Source" is greyed out in my View menu in Word 2000 - with any and all
documents. The problem may (or may not) have started when I installed the
latest critical updates. Perhaps I have to do something to enable the HTML
editor, but I have not been able to find a way to do this in Word. I would
greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Starke

Thanks! I ran across a link yesterday to download the filter, and noticed it
was available in three versions. I assume I should get the one that works as
a Word add-in. My Sheet Music page at
http://valkyriepub.tripod.com/sheetmusic.htm is especially long; it loads in
a few seconds on my computer, but I wonder if it loads as well for others! If
not, I should probably use the filter on it, and on my other pages as well.

Which setting would you recommend for someone who transfers the web pages
back to Word via FTP and edits them again in Word?

Thanks again!

Shirley

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

Hi Shirley:

That filter won't prevent you from editing pages in Word, it simply thins
out the XML Word adds to an HTML document.

Word does not write "HTML". It never has. HTML is a simple language
designed to describe web pages and be very compact. HTML does not have
sufficient "words" in its vocabulary to describe a Word document.

So: Word has always written "XML", 'Extensible Markup Language'. This is a
much richer language that will fully describe a Word document (it's the
format chosen as the native format for the Office 2007 applications).

Regrettably, someone in Marketing decided years ago that we were too stupid
to understand the difference. So they labelled Word's feature "HTML" and
produced a "Save as Web Page" command. Well, it's not HTML, and it never
was. They were sort-of correct about the web page -- an increasing number
of "web pages" are now coded in XML, because their authors came up against
the same restriction the Word designers encountered: if you want all of the
features of a Word documents, such as headers and footers and page breaks
and dynamic content, you need a richer language than HTML to transmit it.

What HTML Filter 2 does is enable you to control "how much" simplification
of your web pages occurs when you save. I used it extensively for making
websites with Word 2000. You get the choice. If you check all the boxes,
you get a very lightweight webpage that almost all browsers will display.
If you don't check any, you get a full XML page that almost exactly
replicates the Word document (an only late versions of Microsoft Internet
Explorer can actually display properly).

On the corporate intranet, I used to turn the filter up about half way, so
people who wanted the pages to open in Word would still have that ability.
On the external Internet, I turned the filter flat out so people working
from home on dialup wouldn't have to wait minutes for their pages.

If you're going to be doing a "lot" of web work in Word 2000, I recommend
you get hold of that filter and try it out. Particularly, investigate the
extra options you get with the little user interface (the filter can run as
a stand-alone program) and the full set of options you get if you run it in
batch mode from the command line.

Having installed it, be careful when you upgrade: the next versions of
Office will try to remove HTML Filter 2. Don't let them: it's seriously
handy for difficult cases, you will want to keep it around :-)

Hope this helps

On 28/3/06 5:55 AM, in article
, "Shirley Starke"

wrote:

"HTML Source" is greyed out in my View menu in Word 2000 - with any and all
documents. The problem may (or may not) have started when I installed the
latest critical updates. Perhaps I have to do something to enable the HTML
editor, but I have not been able to find a way to do this in Word. I would
greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Starke

Well!! I've downloaded and installed it. Now I will get a fresh copy of my
20+ - MB website from the server and process it - and see what happens!

I assume that I can save the processed version of the website in a different
folder, so it won't overwrite or change the original files.

Will I still be able to add photos and text to the compact version?

By the way, the big space hogs in my website aren't the HTML files, but the
pictures! The original pictures seem to be essential in order for the much
smaller Word versions to display properly, though. But I love Word web pages
- for one thing, they change width to fit the browser window so people don't
have to scroll back and forth to read them, and for another, they display
text right away so people can begin reading while the photos download -
rather then staring at a bunch of blank squares until the website finally
pops in. I think Word is still the best web authoring program around!

Thanks!

Shirley

wrote:

"HTML Source" is greyed out in my View menu in Word 2000 - with any and all
documents. The problem may (or may not) have started when I installed the
latest critical updates. Perhaps I have to do something to enable the HTML
editor, but I have not been able to find a way to do this in Word. I would
greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Shirley,

The key featured bit for the Office 2000 HTML Filter v2
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...225761033.aspx
is the one that, for the end user, can be run from your Start=Programs menu or stand alone (it uses two files MSFilter.exe and
MSFilter.dll) to produce a pared down version of what you saved as 'HTML' (web document) from Word, so that you can still use the
original for editing/updating and have a smaller copy to use on your website.

The MSFilter.exe is the one with the 'check boxes' that John mentioned. The add in 'export to compact HTML' uses settings in
Tools=Options=Web and that part was built into Word 2002 and 2003 as 'Save as Web Page-Filtered'

For loading speed there are quite a number of utilities and web sites that will measure things for you. According to the one at
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
your web page would take over 40 seconds to load for someone with a 56K dial up connection.

============

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

Pricing and Packages for '2007 Microsoft Office System'
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Shirley:

Errrk!!! You must be very careful not to overwrite ANYTHING on that web
page until you have TESTED it.

Your page is absolutely FULL of XML and vector markup language and all
manner of other "goodies" that are not part of the HTML standard.

I can't remember all the settings available in HTML Filter 2, but ones to
watch out for are anything to do with the STYLE tag. You must not remove
the style tag, because your page contains an internal stylesheet.

You can't remove Office Tags either, because you have VML shapes in there
:-) I assume you have saved the following web page?

That lists all the filter switches you can use if you run the thing from the
command line. It is also the only place you will find a description of what
the options in the dialog box actually DO when you run HTML Filter 2 on its
own.

You CAN use:
Switch Description
-a Leaves standard @-rule definitions (@page and @font-face) in the HTML
file.
-b Prevents a backup copy (.bak) of the input file from being created.
The setting is only relevant when there is no output file. If you specify an
output file, the input file remains unchanged.
-f If any of the files being created by the utility already exist, this
option overwrites those files without prompting the user. If you do not
specify this option, the program prompts you when it finds an existing file.
-l Removes LANG attributes (language information), such as in body
lang=EN-US.
-m Prevents the creation of GENERATOR and ORIGINATOR META tags, which
contain information about the originating program (Word or Excel) and the
latest generating program (Office HTML Filter).
-o Leaves Office-specific mso- properties and XML tags that represent
document settings in the HTML file.
-r Prevents the display of the percentage change in file size.
-t Deletes nonessential linked files from the supporting files folder
associated with the input file.

You must NOT use:
Switch Description
-c Removes all standard cascading style sheet (CSS) properties.
-s Removes local STYLE elements so that when you link to an external
style sheet, style elements in the local document will update when the
external style sheet is updated.
-v Keeps VML, but deletes static images.

That's an intensely complex page you have created. Whether you "intended"
it to be or not, it *is* :-) It is making use of a LOT of the advanced
features of Word's XML. Whether you "need" those is another debate
entirely, but currently, if you filter than page aggressively, it will fall
apart.

Yes, the images are large, in any web page. In yours, they're twice the
size because you are also storing VML images that can be re-sized (that's
how you get the re-sizeable abilities of that web page). Late-model
browsers will use the stretchable VML images, old browsers use the static
conventional images. You have to keep both or your page won't work in old
browsers.

The only SAFE thing to do is try the filter options one-by-one, and look at
your page in a browser to see what changes. When you get a good idea of
what wrecks the page and what doesn't, run all the ones you know don't do
any damage, and test again. If it still looks OK in your browser, now you
know what you can use and what you can't. Upload the tested version to the
web server. You will need to test all of your pages, because they will all
be very complicated code and each will respond differently to the filter.
Once you find a filter setting that works, write it down and use that in
future :-)

Hope this helps

On 28/3/06 7:40 AM, in article
, "Shirley Starke"