mlagrange

Default A Tale of Two Dot's

Hello - I have two Word doc templates; let's call them "v1" and "v2"

Both versions have embedded pictures in the header; v2 is simply a copy
of v1, with an updated logo picture inserted in the header

When I open these dot's, they both open as "Document{n}", in Print
Layout View; I can't see the headers on either until I View / Header
and Footer

For v1
when I View, Header and Footer, it displays the picture in the

Header, but I can't select the picture (clicking it does not put a
rectangle with handles around it).
When I close the Header & Footer toolbar, the header picture remains

displayed, but THEN the picture appears as selected (rectangle and
handles, with an additional "green dot" handle, cursor changes to a
circular arrow when I hover the cursor over it).
The picture then DOES NOT appear grayed-out; it looks just it would

if I had inserted it directly into the body of the doc

For v2
when I View, Header and Footer, it displays the picture in the

Header, and I CAN select the picture
When I close the Header & Footer toolbar, the header picture remains

displayed, and appears grayed-out, like you would expect

Here's the kicker: when I do a File / Send to / Mail Recipient,
v2 - the recipient gets the body of the letter, with the header picture
stripped off as an attachment
v1 - the recipient gets the body of the letter, WITH THE HEADER PICTURE
STILL EMBEDDED!

The users obviously would prefer the results of v1...

I set up both of these doc's, but for the life of me, can't remember
how I did them any differently. I don't see where you can display the
Properties of a given picture once it's embedded in a doc, but I've
compared the settings on all the tabs of the Format Picture dialog, and
the only difference I can find is the Wrapping Style ("Top and Bottom"
in v1, "In Line With Text" on v2)

I'm running Word & Outlook 2003, the users have Word & Outlook 2002,
but we are both getting the same results.

Anybody have any ideas as to why these 2 dot's are acting differently?

Thanks

Mark

--
mlagrange
mlagrange's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=70

Jay Freedman

Hi Mark,

The symptoms point to the idea that v1 has the picture anchored in the
body of the text but floating in the header area, whereas v2 has the
picture in-line in the header itself.

To make v2 duplicate the behavior of v1 (assuming I'm correct):

- Open the Header area and cut the picture to the clipboard.
- Close the Header area, leaving the cursor in the first paragraph of
the text.
- Paste the picture.
- On the Picture toolbar, click the Wrapping button and select "Top
and Bottom".
- Drag the picture to the location you want.

The drawback of this placement is that deleting or editing the first
paragraph may inadvertently move or delete the picture.

A secondary issue is the need to view the Header to see the picture.
To fix this, go to Tools Options View and check the box for "White
space between pages".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:04:08 +0530, mlagrange
wrote:

[...]

For the first issue (not seeing the header/footer), see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

For the second, it appears evident to me that one of the graphics (v2) is
properly anchored to the header paragraph; the other (v1) is anchored to a
paragraph in the document body.

"mlagrange" wrote in message

[...]

mlagrange

Thanks very much, Jay - that was it.

Geez, what a rat's nest of settings in that Format Picture dialog!

Mark