Liz S

Default How do I calculate page numbers ina 2 column document

I have a 2 column document in MS Word 2002 that I want to print on Day Runner
or similar planner paper. The paper is perforated so that after you print a
page, you have two 5.5x8.5 pages that go in you organizer or small binder.

I want to print page numbers so that when I tear apart the pages, they will
be numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. I have been trying to insert an =Formula field in
my footer using the {Page} field code with some calculations, but I can't
seem to get it to work. I either get a "Syntax Error!" when it prints, or it
prints the exact formula I have entered. The left column page number should
be the page number * 2 - 1 and the right column page number should be the
page number *2.

I have done this in Access and not had a problem. Can anyone help me with
this in Word?

Thanks.

garfield-n-odie

Put the page number fields in the header or footer. The left-column
page number field is:

{ = 2 * { page } - 1 }

and the right-column page number field is:

{ = 2 * { page } }

Press Ctrl+F9 to enter each pair of { } .

Liz S wrote:

I have a 2 column document in MS Word 2002 that I want to print on Day Runner
or similar planner paper. The paper is perforated so that after you print a
page, you have two 5.5x8.5 pages that go in you organizer or small binder.

I want to print page numbers so that when I tear apart the pages, they will
be numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. I have been trying to insert an =Formula field in
my footer using the {Page} field code with some calculations, but I can't
seem to get it to work. I either get a "Syntax Error!" when it prints, or it
prints the exact formula I have entered. The left column page number should
be the page number * 2 - 1 and the right column page number should be the
page number *2.

I have done this in Access and not had a problem. Can anyone help me with
this in Word?

Thanks.

Liz S

Thanks for the information. The hint about using Ctrl-F9 to enter the pairs
of brackets for the formula was the key. When I just typed the brackets in,
it didn't work, even though what I put in the footer looked the same.