Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fraser Page[_2_] Fraser Page[_2_] is offline

Default Simple styles for complex documents?

I work in a law firm. We make really complicated documents. Accordingly, we
have a very complicated Normal.dot default style sheet. It has pretty much
every paragraph numbering system you could ever want and it has them in both
12 pt and 9 pt (the fine print). It also has them in bold and with
underlining. It has a couple in red, a few in blue, one in 4 pt (ultra fine
print). And then there are titles, paragraph styles for every possible
indent, styles for signature lines and web links. We have one called We have
the authority which is only used wherever that phrase occurs.

We have 70-something styles that are included in every document.
Its a huge and confusing mess and because of this almost no one uses styles
in simple documents. In complicated documents, where the value of using
styles is much more apparent, no one uses them consistently.

In a really complicated document that I was working with on Friday I counted
30 styles in use. That is, 30 of our built-in styles. On top of that the
document had 75 pseudo-styles. These are styles with names like List
Paragraph + 9pt, Bold, First line: 0.5 - in other words, built-in styles
that had been modified with manual application of styling.

To me, and to most of the people in the office, its clear that were not
using styles properly. We spend almost as much time troubleshooting strange
style behavior as we would spend manually formatting documents were we not
using styles at all.

What does a best-practice implementation of styles looks like for a case
like ours?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It's a law firm. That means that you're dealing with legal documents. Many
have to meet the requirements of specific courts. That is going to cause
severe limitations at the outset. I don't work in this kind of environment,
so I won't presume to offer more than a couple of very general
recommendations:

1. Define styles based on purpose rather than formatting: Body Text, Block
Text, etc. When you're not bound by formatting, you can modify a style
within a document as needed rather than feel the need to create a new one.

2. Create specific templates with the specific styles needed for specific
types of documents; don't try to come up with a single template that
contains all the styles needed for every possible kind of document. If a
given document really needs 30 styles, then the template needs that many
styles; otherwise not.

3. But does the document really need 30 styles? It might be time to step
back and analyze them and figure out what is the minimum number of styles
(types of formatting) it could use. Designers say you should never use more
than three fonts on a page; anything more looks busy and confusing and just
plain tacky. The same might apply to styles in a document. If there are
really that many different kinds of formatting, then perhaps someone needs
to analyze the logical structure of the document to see if it could be
simplified.

"Fraser Page" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fumei via OfficeKB.com fumei via OfficeKB.com is offline

Sigh. Indeed it is a problem. I hate those List
Paragraph + 9pt, Bold, First line: 0.5 things. I will not tolerate ANY in
my documents.

It is both a design issue, and a training issue.

The design issue takes time, but is possible.

I have taken two different approaches.

The first was to remove ALL formatting buttons. No Bold, no Underline etc.
Plus, I removed the Format menu and anything else that can change things. I
built a new toolbar with the major styles as text buttons. Users just click
on the style name.

The second was to keep the buttons, but re-write the code behind them. For
example, the Bold button does NOT toggle Bold. It applies a bold character
style.

The first approach annoyed the heck out of people for a long time, but now
they love it. They find it faster, and all their documents are consistent,
which was the desired idea.

Word is designed around styles. That is a fact. People generally get
confused about them, but training helps.

But also management direction helps. We want consistent documents. Period.
Thou shalt not decide on a whim you want to make a certain element bold. No..
.you will not.

On long complicated documents 30 styles is not out of line. Proper use of
them can be difficult. I empathize.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]
What does a best-practice implementation of styles looks like for a case
like ours?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Excellent advice... Some "smaller" tips:

-- Take care to specify the "Style for following paragraph" in each
paragraph style carefully.
The more often the right style is applied automatically as uers type, the
less often they'll apply the wrong style or manual formatting.

-- Group styles according to use (in older versions by giving them names
that list nicely alpabetically, in Word 2007 through their priority
setting).
If the styles that are likely to be used in close proximity in the document
are in close proximity in the styles pane, users will have less trouble to
find them.

-- In Word 2007, you can hide styles until they are first used. That may
come in handy say if your users are expected to apply heading or list styles
or bold/italic through buttons or keyboard shortcuts anyway: These styles
won't clutter the styles list then unless they have actually been applied
somewhere.

-- On trick I use ... though I'm not sure if it would be practical for your
use:
I do make use of color a lot... Say Headings in dark blue and text in black,
quotes in dark green...
Users quickly find that applying these from the styles pane is quicker than
trying to use manual formatting, the styles are easier to find in the styles
pane, and it's more obvious if a wrong style has been applied.
Chosen with a bit of good taste, it looks great too, on both b/w and color
printers.

Regards,
Klaus

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fraser Page[_2_] Fraser Page[_2_] is offline

Thanks for your replies everyone. Theres a lot of very useful advice in your

(I don't understand how my initial post was made 'unknown' on the
microsoft.com version of this thread -- very confusing. It looks fine over at
www.officekb.com. I'm reposting it again just for reference.)

fumei, I'm really interested to hear that disallowing all manual formatting
is working for you. I've actually been trying this out with documents I
create for myself for the last little while. It's wonderful how clean the
documents end up coming out, but pretty frustrating when there isnt a style
set up that does what you want to do.

Your reprogramming of Font formatting buttons is a really interesting hack.
Id be interested in learning how to do this. However, it seems to me that
this is only a partial fix. It solves some of the problems with all of the
List Paragraph + Bold things but doesnt contribute anything to styles
role as formatting guidance. You just end up with a bunch of styles named
Bold, Bold + Italic, Italic + Underline right?

Is there any consensus on this? Is it fine to use formatting-specific
character styles while keeping your main paragraph styles use-specific? I
could try to make these character specific styles use-specific but I feel
that that might lead to considerable confusion and push people back to manual
formatting.

Mind you, it certainly proved an effective fix for my 30+ 70 style document.
By reassigning all those List Paragraph + Bold styles (is there a name for
these?) to the List Paragraph paragraph style and Bold character style I
was able to get rid of about half of my 70 pseudo-styles. Of the remaining
half most of them were either assigned to the wrong style and had formatting
added to make them look like another style or shouldnt have had extra
formatting added at all. Using this method, my document went from 30 styles
and 70 pseudo-styles to about 30 styles and 8 pseudo-styles a pretty
significant improvement.

I also took a look at places where a table would serve the job of a style
with a bit more elegance. This let me trim my document of a bunch of styles
that were just indented versions of my main styles. I added these newly
formatted tables to the Quick Parts gallery so that I could use them
elsewhere in this document and others. (These were things like signature and
date lines which to my only half-surprise were formatted totally differently
throughout the document.)

Suzanne, youre absolutely right. Theres lots of room for simplification.
There are 6 different numbering styles (with different sublevels, making 11
styles in total) used in just this one document. In some cases the different
numbering makes sense its an easy way to differentiate one list from
another but most of the time I cant find any rhyme or reason to it.

Klaus, Ive found the hide until used feature both very handy and
occasionally irritating. I dont know why, but sometimes a style just refuses
to show up in my styles pallet despite the fact that its being used. Usually
this style that wont show up is one set as the style for following
paragraph.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fraser Page[_2_] Fraser Page[_2_] is offline

This is a repost of my original question to this forum. On microsoft.com it's
showing up as 'unknown'.

[...]

What does a best-practice implementation of styles look like for a case like
ours?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fraser Page[_2_] Fraser Page[_2_] is offline

Further to my thoughts on using character styles (eg bold, italic) rather
than formatting buttons for these same functions, does anybody have a
workaround for the problem of toggling these styles on and off?

Is it really impossible to remove a character style while leaving the
paragraph style in place?

An example here, just to make sure I'm being clear: if I have piece of text
that is formatted with the Bullet linked/paragraph style and the Bold
character style and I want to un-bold that bolded text it appears to me that
my only valid option is to hit the Clear All button and then reapply my
Bullet style. Clicking on the Bold style will not toggle the style off as
you hope it might. Toggling the Bold button in the font formatting palette
will un-bold the text but it will do so by creating one of those crazy
auto-generated style things called gasp Bold + Not Bold.

Is there another option that Im missing that doesnt involve the
frustrating step of having to reapply my paragraph styling?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ctrl+Spacebar clears direct font formatting (including character styles).
Ctrl+Q restores paragraph formatting to the style definition. In Word 2007
you have a little more control through the Style Inspector, which allows you
to clear direct font formatting without clearing character styles.