Cymbal Man Freq.

Default Lost in a quandary. To Word 2K, or to Word 2K+3...and on what OS?

I have Word 2000 installed (Dell) on a Win Me HD, and I just installed a second
HD with Windows XP on it. All I have to use is Notepad and Wordpad in Windows
XP. I do have plans to have either Word 2003 installed or Corel WordPerfect 12
installed on the XP HD....sometime,...if the people in charge EVER make up their
minds.

While they are twiddling their thumbs for months and months, would it be OK to
find a shortcut from Win ME to startup the Word 2000 on the XP drive?

Would starting Word 2000 on the XP drive ruin the registry such that installing
the newer programs I mentioned would be a mistake after starting Word 2000?

If I installed the newer programs someday, how would that affect the documents
still left on the Win ME drive?

Will Word 2000 on the ME drive be upgraded to Word 2003 if that is installed on
the XP drive? (will grammar check ever point me in the right direction?)

Is the lifecycle of Word 2000 so sufficiently over such that I SHOULD NOT
INSTALL Word 2000 from CD onto the XP drive? (I would think so, but users here
may know more than I do, practically.)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Cymbal,

I have Word 2000 installed (Dell) on a Win Me HD, and I just installed a second
HD with Windows XP on it. All I have to use is Notepad and Wordpad in Windows
XP. I do have plans to have either Word 2003 installed or Corel WordPerfect 12
installed on the XP HD....sometime,...if the people in charge EVER make up their
minds.

While they are twiddling their thumbs for months and months, would it be OK to
find a shortcut from Win ME to startup the Word 2000 on the XP drive?

A shortcut to Winword.exe on the other machine? I don't think that would work.

Would starting Word 2000 on the XP drive ruin the registry such that installing
the newer programs I mentioned would be a mistake after starting Word 2000?

It's more a question of whether the Registry in the other OS has the information
required to let Word run. I think you'd need to install it on the second machine,
as well. (And then you run into licensing questions, etc.)

Generally speaking, if you were to install Office 2000, then remove it and instal
a later version, nothing all too bad should happen.

If I installed the newer programs someday, how would that affect the documents
still left on the Win ME drive?

Shouldn't affect them at all.

Will Word 2000 on the ME drive be upgraded to Word 2003 if that is installed on
the XP drive? (will grammar check ever point me in the right direction?)

No.

Is the lifecycle of Word 2000 so sufficiently over such that I SHOULD NOT
INSTALL Word 2000 from CD onto the XP drive? (I would think so, but users here
may know more than I do, practically.)

Word 2000 (for the end-user, as opposed to the developer) is a perfectly good
piece of software. No reason you shouldn't continue to use it as long as it's
doing the job for you :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cymbal Man Freq.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Cymbal,

I have Word 2000 installed (Dell) on a Win Me HD, and I just
installed a second HD with Windows XP on it. All I have to use is
Notepad and Wordpad in Windows XP. I do have plans to have either
Word 2003 installed or Corel WordPerfect 12 installed on the XP
HD....sometime,...if the people in charge EVER make up their minds.

While they are twiddling their thumbs for months and months, would
it be OK to find a shortcut from Win ME to startup the Word 2000 on
the XP drive?

A shortcut to Winword.exe on the other machine? I don't think that
would work.

It's not a separate machine, it's one computer with 2 hard drives....and 2
operating systems.

What about security updates for the Word programs? Aren't the older Word
programs, like Word 2000, being abandoned on the security front?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Cymbal,

It's not a separate machine, it's one computer with 2 hard drives....and 2
operating systems.

That's like two different machines, as far as the installation questions go.
About licensing, I'm not sure.

What about security updates for the Word programs? Aren't the older Word
programs, like Word 2000, being abandoned on the security front?

Yes, that's true. But it's hard to say whether this is a problem or not, as
a lot depends on
- the individual user
- the IT security environment in which you work

A lot of the "security measures" introduced in recent versions of Word are
more for the paranoid than being truly useful. Like the message that the SQL
mail merge is going to execute could be dangerous. You'd have to have
accepted a main merge document and a data source from outside people, and
installed it to the same directory for there to even be a chance of any
danger. And it's highly unlikely that someone could even have gotten Word to
accept an SQL that can perform anything dangerous, unless we're talking
about a DDE connection to Access.

The other one that occurs to me is turning off automatic link updates in
Word documents. And here, again, you'd have to have accepted and consciously
installed multiple files, into specific folder paths, that this can happen.

Macro viruses remain macro viruses. Nothing has changed in this interface
(so far).

And by the time anything else does come along, I'd think your IT department
would have finally made up its mind...