Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fgetulio

Default How do I shut off 'reveal codes' in Word?

I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

If you see field codes such as {EMBED}, {HYPERLINK}, etc., then
press Alt+F9 to turn off display of field codes.

If you see non-printing characters such as paragraph marks, dots
between words, etc., then see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm .

fgetulio wrote:

I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

If you're referring to non-printing characters, click on the paragraph symbol
on your toolbar and it will turn them off or go to Tools | Options | View |
Formatting marks and deselect them.

"fgetulio" wrote:

I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo

"fgetulio" wrote in message
I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't
know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

There is no such thing as "Reveal Codes" in Word. There is a Task Pane
option to reveal formatting. Or perhaps, as stated in another reply, that
you mean Show/Hide, represented by the Pilcrow on the Standard Tool Bar.
This only displays non-printing characters used for some formatting tasks.

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aaron aaron is offline

"Reveal Codes" is in WordPerfect, and is something Word should have. With
it, it is easy to control formatting and saves a huge amount of time and
effort.
Aaron

"gordo" wrote:

"fgetulio" wrote in message
I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't
know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

There is no such thing as "Reveal Codes" in Word. There is a Task Pane
option to reveal formatting. Or perhaps, as stated in another reply, that
you mean Show/Hide, represented by the Pilcrow on the Standard Tool Bar.
This only displays non-printing characters used for some formatting tasks.

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Given that Word does not use 'codes' to format the document, but is style
based, revealing non-existent 'codes' might be difficult to achieve!

"gordo" wrote:

"fgetulio" wrote in message
I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I
don't know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

There is no such thing as "Reveal Codes" in Word. There is a Task
Pane option to reveal formatting. Or perhaps, as stated in another
reply, that you mean Show/Hide, represented by the Pilcrow on the
Standard Tool Bar. This only displays non-printing characters used
for some formatting tasks.

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
radiodave radiodave is offline

To turn off the display of field codes such as {xe "Index entry"},
{HYPERLINK}, etc.,

* In Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office Button Word Options Display
Hidden Text and/or Show All Formatting Marks.

* In earlier versions of Word, select Tools Options View Hidden Text
and/or All.

Note both have other check boxes for paragraph marks etc. as mentioned below.

Alt-F9 only toggles between text and field codes for field codes that are
normally dispalyed as text, like page numbers, linked graphics, and table of
contents. Alt-F9 doesn't display or hide hidden field codes like index
entries that don't have any text to display. It would be nice if there was a
keyboard shortcut to turn toggle those hidden entries.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can toggle hidden text with a macro attached to a keyboard shortcut

Sub ShowHidden()
With ActiveWindow.View
.ShowHiddenText = Not .ShowHiddenText
.ShowAll = False
End With
End Sub

radiodave wrote:
To turn off the display of field codes such as {xe "Index entry"},
{HYPERLINK}, etc.,

* In Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office Button Word Options
Display
Hidden Text and/or Show All Formatting Marks.

* In earlier versions of Word, select Tools Options View Hidden
Text and/or All.

Note both have other check boxes for paragraph marks etc. as
mentioned below.

Alt-F9 only toggles between text and field codes for field codes that
are normally dispalyed as text, like page numbers, linked graphics,
and table of contents. Alt-F9 doesn't display or hide hidden field
codes like index entries that don't have any text to display. It
would be nice if there was a keyboard shortcut to turn toggle those
hidden entries.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JungleJaneBelize JungleJaneBelize is offline

Although the question is old, I will still answer it because it might help
someone else who is looking for it. There IS an option in Word 2007 to show
or hide field codes, which I think is what this asker is looking for. It can
be fixed by clicking on the Windows logo on the top left, then go to Word
options, the Advanced, then under "Show document content" remove the
checkmark from "Show field codes instead of their values".
Good luck!

"fgetulio" wrote:

I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect what the user is actually asking about is nonprinting characters,
which are toggled with the Show/Hide ΒΆ button in Word 2007 as in previous
versions. It's in the Paragraph group on the Home tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"JungleJaneBelize" wrote in
message ...

"fgetulio" wrote:

I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't
know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline