Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jack Jack is offline

Default Disappearing Status Bar

Recently I have noticed my status bar disappearing. I keep going back to
Tools -- Options to turn it back on.

I'm not sure exactly when it is happening, but it is often missing when I
want to use it.

I did notice that it disappeared when I opened a document that was sent to
me as an attachment to an e-mail. I have my Reading Pane allowed in my
Options, but when this document opens it quickly flashes in the Reading Pane,
then goes to the Page Layout view. At that time the Status Bar is missing.

Is there anyway to prevent the status bar from disappearing?
--
Jack Rumple
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Jack

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the Word Data key in the registry
is broken. I would try deleting it and see if that makes a difference.

See the following for more information, how to back up and restore your
settings preferences, and then how to delete the key:
What exactly does the Data Key in the Registry store?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...eySettings.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jack" wrote in message
Recently I have noticed my status bar disappearing. I keep going back to
Tools -- Options to turn it back on.

I'm not sure exactly when it is happening, but it is often missing when I
want to use it.

I did notice that it disappeared when I opened a document that was sent to
me as an attachment to an e-mail. I have my Reading Pane allowed in my
Options, but when this document opens it quickly flashes in the Reading
Pane,
then goes to the Page Layout view. At that time the Status Bar is missing.

Is there anyway to prevent the status bar from disappearing?
--
Jack Rumple

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jack Jack is offline

That sounds like it would affect all documents. I'm not having trouble with
all of my documents.

After I posted my original question, I went back to try to isolate the
problem. At first I tried Word documents that were sent as attachments. I
found a similar document sent to me from the same individual and it opened in
the Reading Layout fine. When I closed the Reading Layout, my status bar was
still there.

Next I tried documents on our Sharepoint site. I had no trouble opening
those. The document giving me trouble was originally posted to the Sharepoint
site. It works fine from there. However the copy that was e-mailed to me will
flash in the Reading Layout, then the Reading Layout disappears and the
document is presented in the Page Layout, but my status bar is now missing
and the View Option is unselected.

I looked at the e-mailed document's macros, but there is nothing in there to
cause this behavior.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem seems to be isolated to this one
document. I would like to see if there is something else I can try first. In
addition, I do not have rights to the computer where this is happening, so I
doubt I would be able to restore the Data Key in the Registry store on my own.
--
Jack Rumple

"Jack" wrote in message
Recently I have noticed my status bar disappearing. I keep going back to
Tools -- Options to turn it back on.

I'm not sure exactly when it is happening, but it is often missing when I
want to use it.

I did notice that it disappeared when I opened a document that was sent to
me as an attachment to an e-mail. I have my Reading Pane allowed in my
Options, but when this document opens it quickly flashes in the Reading
Pane,
then goes to the Page Layout view. At that time the Status Bar is missing.

Is there anyway to prevent the status bar from disappearing?
--
Jack Rumple

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Open the document - check tools options view status bar. Type a
character in the text space. Delete it. Save the document. Does it open
correctly now?

"Jack" wrote in message
Recently I have noticed my status bar disappearing. I keep going
back to Tools -- Options to turn it back on.

I'm not sure exactly when it is happening, but it is often missing
when I want to use it.

I did notice that it disappeared when I opened a document that was
sent to me as an attachment to an e-mail. I have my Reading Pane
allowed in my Options, but when this document opens it quickly
flashes in the Reading Pane,
then goes to the Page Layout view. At that time the Status Bar is
missing.

Is there anyway to prevent the status bar from disappearing?
--
Jack Rumple

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jack Jack is offline

Good idea, but it didn't change things.

I can deal with this for now. It is easy enough to turn the status bar back
on, now that I've done it a few times. I was hoping someone else had seen
this behavior before and had a fix for it.

Thanks for all of the great advice.
--
Jack Rumple

"Jack" wrote in message
Recently I have noticed my status bar disappearing. I keep going
back to Tools -- Options to turn it back on.

I'm not sure exactly when it is happening, but it is often missing
when I want to use it.

I did notice that it disappeared when I opened a document that was
sent to me as an attachment to an e-mail. I have my Reading Pane
allowed in my Options, but when this document opens it quickly
flashes in the Reading Pane,
then goes to the Page Layout view. At that time the Status Bar is
missing.

Is there anyway to prevent the status bar from disappearing?
--
Jack Rumple

Spelling and Grammar Status - Advice needed xppuser Microsoft Word Help 7 July 25th 06 06:31 PM
status bar dca Microsoft Word Help 3 March 14th 06 05:50 PM
Problem with Page number in status bar CCloud Microsoft Word Help 3 March 6th 06 01:00 PM
status bar does not show line and at status judijm New Users 1 January 24th 05 04:35 PM
Can VBA put anything in the status bar? tweedepoging New Users 0 December 2nd 04 02:45 PM